Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling

I made some delicious pumpkin bread last week. I normally make my mother's delicious recipe, but when I saw this recipe at Joy of Baking, I knew I wanted to try it. This pumpkin bread has a layer of cream cheese filling through it which makes it a little different from the usual. Half of the batter is spooned into the loaf pans and the yummy cream cheese filling is smoothed over the top. Then, the rest of the pumpkin mixture is spooned over the top and spread out evenly. Unfortunately, that part was harder because the filling is rather runny whereas the batter is thicker, which makes it sink into the filling. I got it spread out as well as I could. Even though I do not have a pretty cream cheese layer, the bread is so moist and subtly spiced. The cream cheese layer is a delicious touch. It makes two loaves, one to eat and one to share!

Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling

Pumpkin Bread:
1 cup pecans or walnuts ( I didn't use them)
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (my addition)
4 large eggs, beaten
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup water
1 - 15 ounce can pure pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cream Cheese Filling:
8 ounce package of cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon ( my addition)
Mix all ingredients for the cream cheese layer together.

For the bread:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease and flour 2 9x5x3 inch loaf pans. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, soda salt and spices. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, pumpkin, butter, water and vanilla together.
Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
Divide the batter in half. Take one half and divide it evenly between the two loaf pans. Spread out evenly. Divide the cream cheese mixture between the 2 pans, smoothing it out evenly. Top with the remaining pumpkin batter, smoothing it out as best you can. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Place pans on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Remove bread from pans.
I prefer to let it cool before serving. Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Yum! I love pumpkin and this bread looks absolutely delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To show my appreciation for your support, please pick the Award from my place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think this is so attractive! there's nothing quite like an orange-white contrast, particularly when i know that the white is made up of cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had this before, and it is terrific, I love stuffed things, and stuffing bread is a great idea, thanks for the know how!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda, what a delightful treat. It's like having your icing on the inside. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pumpkin bread is always such a treat and yours sounds especially delicious with the icing inside. Delicious sums it up in a word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best idea ever! I love the layering and that it winds in and around the bread.Delicious, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pumpkin and cream cheese together, YUM YUM I love the swirls of the cream cheese in this. I think the flavor sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lynda...you won my giveaway. Please email me you address so I can get PW's cookbook out to you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm.. the cream cheese filling inside the pumpkin bread sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, cream cheese filling! What a great way to tart up pumpkin bread - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pumpkin bread well, actually pumpkin anything! This looks delicious! I am going to make it this week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lynda, I wanted to thank you for this recipe. I just made it myself, A tip I found was make the cream cheese filling first put it in the freezer or fridge to firm up a little then when u put the first layer of pumpkin batter in pull it up on the sides of the pan creating a little bowl. then spoon in the cream cheese batter then then use the exposed pumpkin batter on the edges to stabilize the top layer of pumpkin by making thin layers over the cream cheese and connecting them all as u go around the outside this sealed in the cream cheese for me. then spoon rest of the pumpkin batter over top and lightly even out so not to pop the cream cheese pocket. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Lynda, I wanted to thank you for this recipe it is delicious. I had some helpful tips I found while making mine to solve the cream cheese layer dilemma. I made the cream cheese filling first and put it in the freezer or fridge to firm it up. When I put the first layer of pumpkin batter in I pulled it up onto the sides of the pan creating a bowl. Then I spooned in the cream cheese into the bowl. then using the exposed edges of pumpkin batter I spooned thin layers of pumpkin batter connecting them to the sides which stabilized this layer. sealing the cream cheese into a pocket them I put the rest of the better on top and lightly smoothed it over as not to pop the pocket. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!