Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tex-Mex Rice and Family, Friends and Food, and Adopt a Blogger#3

My family loves Tex-Mex and Mexican food, so it seems like I make it every week, even if it's just taco salad. When I need rice, I make this recipe that is very versatile, so that you can change some of the ingredients and have anew dish, but the basic recipe is still there. For instance, I used a poblano pepper and 2 Roma tomatoes in this, but you could change to red and green bell peppers, or use jalapeno peppers, or even stir in some meat or black beans and corn. It's very flavorful and a great accompaniment to my Chili Tortilla Bake or my Quesadilla's or, the Baked Pork Shoulder for Carnitas. So, let's make this, OK?
TEX-MEX RICE
1 cup white rice
2 cups chicken broth
2T. oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 medium poblano pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced,
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2-1 tsp. kosher salt, or sea salt
In a large sauce pan add 1 tablespoon oil and heat to medium heat. Add the onion, pepper and garlic and saute for a couple on minutes just until slightly softened. Add the chili powder, cumin, rice and the other tablespoon of oil and stir until the spices are very fragrant and the rice is glossy and coated with oil, about 2 minutes. Do not scorch the rice and spices. To the pan add the chicken broth, tomatoes and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover pan and cook on low for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let rice set for 5-10 minutes. When ready fluff rice with a fork and enjoy with your favorite Tex-Mex dishes! Top with cilantro is desired.

Now, for some exciting news! I have been adopted! No, I'm not getting new parents, I'm in the Adopt a Blogger #3, the mentoring program that was started by Kristen at Dine and Dish. There are 114 new and experienced bloggers taking part in it this time around! I want to thank Kristen for including me as one of the "newbies" up for adoption. She has put a lot of work into this program, and here she is, expecting her 4th child any day now! I have been adopted by Patsy from Family Friends and Food, a wonderful blogger who has lots of yummy looking recipes that I am wanting to try, and she also has info on food products and her favorite cooking gadgets. She's been blogging for a couple of years and has a beautiful blog that I hope all of you will check out! I am really looking forward to getting to know Patsy and learn some tidbits that will help me to improve my blog. And, Patsy, thank you, in advance, for your help. I really appreciate it!
Now, my question. When you were a new blogger, did you have a mentor that helped you out, or did you have to learn on your own?

11 comments:

  1. This would be a great recipe for cinco de mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great mexican style rice recipe. Yummy :) We this type rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the adopt a blogger idea sounds wacky - this rice dish is right up my alley though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your recipe. My husband and children are rice and Tex-Mex lovers so they would love this.

    Congrats on your adoption. I wish I would have had something like that last year when I first started blogging. It sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe, Lynda! Looks like something I could adjust to the tastes of my kids very easily.

    I didn't have a mentor when I started out, but did have some bloggers that were willing to answer questions as they came up. Most of it I learned on my own though. Looking forward to getting to know you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love rice made like this; so flavorful! YUMMERS!! Just so happens I have some rice left over from last night.....

    I'm still a newbie, only about 5 months old. I've figured out everything mostly by myself, lots of trial and error. The mentoring program is a great one!

    If you learn how to do a "recipe link" so people can go directly to a printed recipe in your blog, let me know. I can't seem to find directions in blogger help for it.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so delicious! We love mexican food. The pineapple sheet cake looks also to die for. Yum!!!!! You have so many great recipes on your blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm. This looks wonderful! I love all of the flavors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! I made a mexican casserole for dinner tonight, I guess we're both thinking along the same lines :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shredded beef enchilada...it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!