Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fresh Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

After our oldest son got married almost 6 years ago, he began asking for certain family recipes that he grew up with. I began to see a need to get all of my family recipes organized, as many of the the dishes I make are not written down on paper, but instead written in my memory, and that isn't a safe place! I have so many of my own tried and true , but also those of my Mother's and mother in law's, and piles of untried recipes that I think I'll get around to "one of these days". This blog is really helping me to organize my written recipes. And those that are still in my mind, well, I'm working on them. This Fresh Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad recipe came from my Grandmother. It has been almost 30 years since she made it for the first time. My family had gone to my grandparent's home for Thanksgiving and my Grandmother had made this salad. We all loved it so much, that for many years we had to have it every holiday! I don't make it as often as I used too, as too many new recipes come along. But I made it this week, so I'll share it with you!

FRESH BROCCOLI and CAULIFLOWER SALAD
1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 head of cauliflower, cut into pieces
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, chopped ( I use 1/2 of a red onion)
2 celery ribs, sliced ( I didn't use celery)
Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl.
DRESSING
In a small bowl mix together;
8 oz. sour cream ( can use low-fat)
1 cup real mayo
1 envelope dry ranch dressing mix( use the Original mix)
Mix well and fold into the vegetables. Cover and refrigerate at least a couple of hours before serving. It's so good, with the tangy dressing over the fresh, crunchy veggies! However one of these days, I'm going to experiment with the dressing, trying fresh herbs in place of the powdered ranch. But that's for another day.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really delicious side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, blogging is a great way to pass down treasured recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful salad. Creamy, crunchy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!