Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Strawberry Quick Bread

 This Strawberry Quick bread is full of moist, strawberry flavor. It is a perfect accompaniment with your morning coffee, and equally good with afternoon tea. Strawberries are my favorite berry, but I usually find ways to use them fresh. But this quick bread is excellent in flavor and texture. I normally add pecans to this bread, but left them out this time and it's still delicious. If you are a strawberry addict like me, and enjoy a good slice of bread, you need to try this Strawberry Quick Bread. I think you will really enjoy it. This bread would be great to make for Mother's Day also.

STRAWBERRY QUICK BREAD
Adapted from King Arthur Flour

1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup mashed strawberries- I used 1 1/3 cups
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the nuts, flour, sugar, soda, salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, eggs, mashed strawberries and oil. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, just until combined and flour is incorporated.
3. Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 55-60 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it from the pan to a rack to cool.
For best flavor, moistness and easiest slicing, wrap the bread and let it sit overnight before cutting. Quick breads are best when they are allowed to rest overnight. It somehow gives them time for the best flavor and moistness to develop. Then enjoy a slice or 2 of this fantastic bread!

NOTE: King Arthur Flour also gives directions to make this into Rhubarb Bread.




9 comments:

  1. Dear Lynda, King Arthur Flour is wonderful and the recipes are delicious. This bread and a good cup of coffee sounds great. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never think to use strawberries in quick bread, but I'll bet it wonderful! Perfect for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love strawberry bread & that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made a very similar strawberry bread and love it. This looks so good and this time of year I always have extra strawberries around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with strawberries, I'm in! I've taken a look through your blog - you've got some awesome recipe, girl! Lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm. That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We should have fresh strawberries in the market before too long and I'm always looking for new recipes to try. Love the idea of strawberry bread with a little spread of cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we don't often see strawberries in baked goods, or so it seems. for the life of me, i can't figure out why--this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet treat! The bread looks wonderful and it is a perfect way to use the berries that are now coming to market. This would be really nice for Mother's Day. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!