Thursday, May 17, 2012

Strawberry Almond Coffee Cake

 I love a good coffee cake, especially when it's not too sweet first thing in the morning. This Strawberry Coffee Cake is dense, yet tender because of the addition of sour cream, and bursting with strawberries. There is a light glaze on this breakfast cake, but it isn't sugary sweet. I love that this cake is small, which is perfect for my husband and I now that we are empty nesters. The original recipe was made with raspberries, but I had strawberries I needed to use. I'll definitely be making this again. If you enjoy coffee cake, this one is delicious and quick to prepare. Hope you'll give it a try.
Strawberry Almond Coffee Cake
Adapted from Noble Pig

Cake Ingredients:
1 cup strawberries, diced
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sliced almonds

GLAZE:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
about 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 inch round cake pan.
1. In a small bowl, toss the strawberries and thee brown sugar together. Set aside.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, soda and salt together.
3. In bowl, add the egg, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla together.
Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix well. Batter will be very dense and thick.
4. Spread half the batter over the bottom of the prepared cake pan. The easiest way is to drop small spoon fulls around and then smooth it out over the bottom of the pan. You'll think there isn't enough batter, but it really will come together just fine.
5. Spoon the strawberries and sugar over the batter. Again, spoon small amounts of remaining batter over the strawberries and bottom layer. Carefully spread the batter out as best as possible, with a swirling motion. I used a large spoon to spread batter, but an off-set spatula will work too. Sprinkle with almonds.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes until done when a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, and cake is lightly golden.
7. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of pan before inverting cake onto serving platter. Mix together glaze and drizzle over the cake. Enjoy!
Can't wait to try this with blueberries, and also raspberries.

5 comments:

  1. I would love a piece of that cake tonight! I may have to pick up some strawberries this weekend so I can make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love when it's not overly sweet. I've been making my way through a Mother's Day coffee cake - sliver by sliver and now it's time for a new one! Especially partial to those raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. strawberries make such pretty cakes! i love them with almonds, and i'm always keen on glazed goodies--nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looks amazing Lynda! I need to put this on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM,...What a wonderful & truly appetizing strawberry caker! Just looks stunning!
    :)
    MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!