Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cajun Chicken Pasta - On the Lighter Side

 This may be a lighter version of the normally cream laden Cajun Chicken Pasta, but you wouldn't know it once you get a taste. This dish is just as packed with flavor and just as satisfying as the more fattening version. The cream sauce is actually made by combining low fat cream cheese, low fat milk and flour, and mixing into broth to make this dish so creamy and delicious. There are tons of veggies and I used a whole grain pasta, so this was healthy as well as packed with flavor from the Cajun spices. We loved it, so I'm already planning to make it again in a couple of days.
 This dish comes together very quickly after you get all the vegetables prepped and the sauce started. So it is crucial to have everything ready to go before you begin cooking. I made a few adjustments to the recipe, but nothing major. I made my own Cajun spice mixture, so that I can better control the salt. I used a little more olive oil, and 2% milk instead of skim, plus a couple of other slight changes. Be sure to check out the original recipe at Skinny Taste. There are many great looking recipes there. Now here's the recipe for this fantastic dish. I hope you will give this a try.
Cajun Chicken Pasta (On the Lighter Side)
Adapted from Skinny Taste

8 ounces uncooked linguine-I used Barilla's whole grain spaghetti instead
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into strips
1-2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning- I used almost 3 by the time it was done
about 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 of a red onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
2 tomatoes, diced- I used Roma tomatoes
1 cup, fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup skim milk- I used 2% because that's what we use
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons light cream cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2 scallions/green onions, sliced

Directions:
1. Prepare all the vegetables, mushrooms and chicken.  Add the milk, flour, and cream cheese to a blender and  pulse until well combined and smooth. Set aside. Season the sliced chicken well with Cajun seasoning, and salt if needed. I used 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning on the chicken. Use more or less, according to your preferences.
2. Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. (I used a stainless skillet, so I had to use 1 tablespoon oil.) Add sliced chicken to skillet and saute for 5-6 minutes until done. You may need to do this in 2 batches. When done, place chicken on a plate and set aside.
4. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic and a pinch of salt to skillet and saute 3-4 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and just heat through. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the chicken broth. when it simmers, stir in the cream cheese slurry, stirring until thickened about 2 minutes. Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings, if needed. I added a bit more Cajun spice at this point plus more salt.
5. Stir in the cooked pasta and heat through. Top with the sliced green onions and fresh ground pepper.  Boy is this good; Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yum. So many great flavors in this pasta dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it may be lighter, but i'm sure you wouldn't miss much! what a lovely dish, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that this is so soul-satisfying and yet laden with cream. Just the thing to spice up my evening!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!