Friday, May 4, 2012

Chicken Fajita Nachos with Easy White Cheese Dip

 I love the Fajitas at our local Mexican restaurant, and the Nachos too. Our favorite restaurant makes what they call "Fajita Nachos" with your choice of steak or chicken, and instead of using shredded cheese, they smother the nachos in their Queso Blanco Dip. My goodness, talk about deliciousness on a plate! So, I've tried to recreate this fantastic dish at home the last couple of weeks for my husband and I, just in time to celebrate Cinco de Mayo too!
 I took pictures both times trying to get a good one. Seems that the cheese looked better in my first photos, so that is why you'll see two different shaped plates.
 I don't normally order the white cheese dip at the restaurant, because I really prefer their salsa with the chips, but, when that Queso Blanco is covering nachos, I say yes please. Their simple white cheese dip really adds to these nachos and some of the other dishes on their menu. I haven't perfected the Queso Blanco yet, but it turned out pretty good this time. I kept it very simple. Make the cheese dip first, before you start the nachos, so the flavors have time to come together. It is quick to make since it is done in the microwave.
 I have to admit that I wasn't good at measuring; I tend to cook by looks and taste, so hope this doesn't keep you from trying this dish. We definitely enjoyed these nachos, twice so far, and I'll make them again. We tend to crave this type of food quite often.

Chicken Fajita Nachos with Easy White Cheese Dip
From Lynda's Recipe Box- made for 2

Nachos ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cloves garlic, minced
about 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt and pepper
about 1/4 teaspoon cumin
about 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 half of a large yellow onion, sliced thin
1 green bell pepper, sliced thin -or a mix of colored peppers- I used red and green this time
white cheese dip
diced tomato for topping
diced avocado for topping, or any other topping you desire
good quality tortilla chips

Directions:
1. Make the cheese dip first; set aside.
2. Cut each chicken breast in half lenght-wise, and then slice each piece into thin slices against the grain. Place chicken in a bowl with the lime juice, salt and pepper, cumin, chili powder and the minced garlic and toss to coat evenly.
3. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. (I used my cast iron skillet.) Add 2 tablespoons of oil and add the sliced chicken to the pan. Let cook for about a minute then begin to stir and turn the chicken pieces as they brown, breaking them apart. When no pink remains and chicken is done, remove the meat to a bowl or plate. You may have to do this in 2 batches, if using more than 2 chicken breasts.
4. Add more oil to the skillet and add the onion and pepper. Stir it around as it cooks for 2-4 minutes, just until it begins to slightly soften. Remove veggies from pan.
5. Plate the nachos. Lay the tortilla chips on a plate, then add the onions and peppers, then the chicken. Smother the nachos with cheese dip, then add the diced tomatoes and avocado and other toppings that you desire. Enjoy!

Easy White Cheese Dip -Queso Blanco

1/2 pound white American cheese*, shredded, or diced small
3 small, yellow pickled chili peppers*, or 1 small pickled jalapeno pepper, minced
1/2 cup milk, more or less, depending on how well the cheese melts

Place cheese and milk in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Remoe bowl and stir well with a fork, or if it is really soupy a whisk. Stir until the cheese and milk is very well incorporated. It will depend on the cheese brand as to how well it melts and whether you will need more milk. If the dip isn't melted enough, microwave another 30 seconds and continue this until the cheese is melted. Add more milk as needed to get the consistency you want. Stir in the minced pickled peppers.
*Notes: White American Cheese is found at your local deli. I bought the Prima Della brand from Walmart and it melted well with less milk than another brand I bought earlier. Land of Lakes is supposed to be a good brand of cheese for dip making.
* Pickled yellow chili peppers, or pickled jalapenos are found on the pickle isle at your grocers. Trappy's  or Mezzetta are 2 brands I can buy here. They work really well in this dip.
NOTE: I found that many Mexican restaurants use white American cheese for the Queso Blanco that they serve.






10 comments:

  1. When you melt cheese, I cannot resist. I usually prefer salsa or maybe that's my healthy genes trying! In any case, this is a grand, festive meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy these look so good. i must try these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of our local Mexican restaurants serves Queso Blanco over their quesadillas and as a dip and I've always loved it, but didn't realize it was so simple to make. Your nachos look outstanding and might just get tried here today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the seasoning on your chicken, Lynda and the cheese dip sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds perfect. Mexican is popular in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, glorious cheese dip! that totally takes your nachos to the supreme level, lynda--bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had the white cheese over nachos - sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad I found this!! I Love this dish and have looked everywhere for this recipe. Thanks, cant wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always loved this dish at my local mexican restaurant but couldn't ever figure out how to make it. I'm headed to get the ingredients now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Linda, I too love this dish out and can't wait to try your recipe out!!! :-.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!