Monday, April 19, 2010

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

I know, there are many recipes for Spinach and Artichoke Dip on the web. But I was craving it after reading Kathleen's post last week. Her photo was enticing and I had stuff on hand to make it happen. I had half a bag of spinach that needed to be used, and a can of artichokes in the pantry. I toasted some baguette slices, mixed the dip, stuck it the oven and indulged. Ahhh, it was so good! So here's my version of her delicious dip.

SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE DIP
adapted from Kathleen's recipe

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream, I used low fat
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
5 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
1 can artichoke hearts, water packed, drained and chopped
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Since I used fresh spinach, I quickly sauteed it in a skillet in 1 teaspoon olive oil. It was wilted in just a minute. Stir in the softened cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, Parmesan cheese, chopped artichoke hearts, garlic powder, and pepper flakes. Pour into a baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes until golden and bubbly. Serve with baguette slices, pita chips or whatever you like. It's good with anything!

NOTE: More spinach can be used, if desired. This made 2 1/2 - 3 cups of dip.

15 comments:

  1. This looks so scrummy! Pass me a hunk of that bread right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have craving this...great recipe

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, one of my favorite things on the planet. Yours looks amazing, I'm sure I could finish it all without a bit of help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the hefty portion of parmesan cheese and the limited mayo--wonderful version, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely recipe with the use of fresh spinach as a change from the frozen. Why but it pre-made when this is so easy to assemble?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat the entire dish of this tasy dip - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks so much for the link back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mke this often because I can lap up the entire thing on my own - but it is so rich and tasty and irresistable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks absolutely yummy! Love this stuff.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an old favorite, Lynda...which I used to make all the time. I could sit down and eat half of this all by myself and it always was a smash hit at parties.
    Haven't made it in years! Copying your recipe now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dip really looks wonderful. I have a real fondness for dips and spread and yours sounds especially good. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a definite weekend splurge. I love artichoke/spinach dips. They're sooooo bad but, oh so good.
    Lila Ferraro
    Queen Bedroom Sets

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dip sounds terrific! I just roasted some artichokes and can make this recipe tonight!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!