Thursday, April 8, 2010

Orzo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Mushrooms

I love reading food blogs! I get so many great food ideas as I'm sure you all do too. Recently, Karen posted a recipe using orzo and sun-dried tomatoes and cooked it like a risotto. Now orzo is a small, rice shaped pasta that is wonderful in many different dishes. I've cooked orzo like risotto before for this recipe, and I loved how it turned out. Well, yesterday I needed a quick side dish to go with a rotisserie chicken I purchased at the supermarket for lunch, and I thought of making a quick orzo dish using ingredients that I had on hand. It was delicious and it only takes about 15 minutes to cook. The earthy mushrooms paired with the tangy sun-dried tomatoes is wonderful. Give it a try!
ORZO WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES AND MUSHROOMS
from Lynda's Recipe Box (inspired by Karen's recipe)
1 cup orzo
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (I used white mushrooms)
1/3-1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth or stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped-optional
salt and pepper to taste
Slice onion, garlic, mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Heat the chicken broth in a sauce pan or the micro wave. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and the onion. Cook until softened. Add the mushrooms and garlic and stir until mushrooms are cooked. Remove mixture to a bowl. Add the orzo to the skillet and stir until lightly toasted. Add 1 cup of hot broth to the skillet and stir the orzo until the broth is absorbed. Add more broth, 1/2 cup at a time until all the broth has been used and the orzo is cooked al dente, about 15 minutes. Add the mushroom mixture and the sun dried tomatoes back into the skillet with the last addition of chicken broth, along with the parsley. Also stir in the Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper if needed. I didn't need to add salt because the Parmesan made it plenty salty for us. Enjoy!
NOTE: This also makes an excellent main dish, served with a good salad.

19 comments:

  1. I love this and will try. Orzo and sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms - always a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fact: any dish containing sun-dried tomatoes is irresistible to me. this creation is no exception--it looks quite tasty, lynda, and that's coming from an anti-mushroom point of view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love these savory "fancy" rice dishes... yours is outstanding

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks too good for a side dish, believe I'd have it as an entree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhh. I love the addition of the shrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is super delicious ...
    m here to leave u an invite:-)))

    Hullo Happy Sunshine pal, its GOrgeously spring ,blue skies and summer hues, we are so happy and with this happiness lets JOin the Party ,for dear CHaya 's BIRTHDAY.[10th april]..yeah its a suprise party for her....and she's ur pal too....
    and all u need to do is hop at the link below and leave her a birthday message and link any or all of ur deliciousness u wanna bring to the party.....looking foward to u ....at the party and CHaya ...is going to love having u over .......
    ANd if possible please send this message atleast to 5 of ur bloggin buddys , we so wanna make her day dont we....

    come to the party ....ur presence n love will make the difference.....

    to bring the joy of the gorgeously stunning Springtime right here http://brightmorningstarsfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/04/hugs-n-love-suprise-party-for-u-dear.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love orzo, it cooks up so quickly.Pasta, cheese and mushrooms sounds like my kind of dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, doesn't that look good?? I love orzo...nobody can believe it's pasta, everyone thinks it's rice!
    Can't wait to try your recipe. Orzo, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and Parmesan are a super combo of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love orzo. This looks like a really great combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so impressed you just whipped up this yummy dish for lunch! I think I need to step up my lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love orzo and I love sun-dried tomatoes. That looks a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only had orzo once or twice and I've never made it myself. That needs to change soon, because yours looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow that sounds wonderful! I think I have almost everything but the Orzo, but I saw it in the bulk section and have been wanting to try it. Thanks :)

    I have the Quiche recipe up, thanks again for the idea :).

    http://mom2mycrazy2.blogspot.com/2010/04/msm-cpw-2-left-over-ham-recipes-taco.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love orzo and this is definitely a winning combination!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a terrific side dish, perfect with so many things. I am a huge fan of sun dried tomatoes, and this is an excellent way to use them. Thanks for sharing this, Lynda. It looks deeee-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep threatening to make a risotto, but I haven't got round to it, as yet. This sounds like a scrummy combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When do you add the tomatoes >.< recipe doesn't say =(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous, Thanks for pointing out my omission!Add the tomatoes when you stir the mushrooms into the orzo. I've corrected it in the post;Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. And a thanks to you too.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!