Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Layered Yellow Cake

The other day I was going through my recipe box and came across this cake recipe given to me by a friend about 12 years ago. The recipe calls for a cake mix, but if you have a yellow cake recipe that you like, use it for this cake. The homemade cake will not be as crumbly, but what ever you want to do. I won't judge! After you bake the cake, there are several layers to add; a pineapple layer, then pudding and last, whipped cream or Cool Whip. The cake needs to be baked in a non reactive pan as a whole can of crushed pineapple is spooned over it as a first layer. First you must poke holes in the cooled cake with a meat fork. Lots of holes!
Then spoon a large can of heated, crushed pineapple over the cake and let cool. The last two layers are added after that cools. Add pudding and then the whipped topping, and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Store cake in the refrigerator. It needs to be made early in the day that you plan to serve it. My husband loves this cake. My kids on the other hand, not so much. They don't care for canned pineapple. The toasted coconut is optional, but it is a delicious touch.

LAYERED YELLOW CAKE
from my friend Janelle
You need;
1 yellow cake, baked in a non reactive 9x13 inch pan.
1 -20 ounce can of crushed pineapple
1/4 cup sugar
1 large package instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk
whipped cream or Cool whip
toasted coconut for topping, if desired
1. Bake a yellow cake mix to package directions, or bake your own home made yellow cake instead, if desired. Let it cool. Poke lots of holes in cake with a meat fork.
2. In a saucepan, bring the pineapple and the sugar to a boil. Remove from heat. Spoon the hot pineapple and juice evenly over the cooled cake. Let cool completely.
3. Mix pudding mix with the 2 cups of milk. Spread evenly over cooled cake. Spread whipped cream or Cool Whip over the pudding layer. Sprinkle evenly with toasted coconut; as much as you want! Store in the refrigerator for several hours before serving. Enjoy!
NOTE: This cake is quite tall with the toppings so you will need to consider that. The lid on my Pyrex pan squishes the topping some, so foil, loosely wrapped, will work. Cake needs to be stored in the fridge.


18 comments:

  1. What a fresh looking treat for a warm day. That looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my kind of cake! It sounds wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds super delicious with the addition of crushed pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome recipe! Cannot wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore every variety of these kinds of cakes! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pineapple, and boy does this cake sound good. I've been pouring over my cookbooks lately, looking at cake recipes, but I think I may need to put them aside for this. Gosh this looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is quite similar to the better-than-(what-have-you) cake that i know and love. yes!--the toasted coconut on top would be essential. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a cake dream! I love all of the components in this. I am giving this a try very soon. Perfect for spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a grand,old-fashioned recipe. It's reminiscent of my childhood and I like the reminder that my family would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so yummy. I'm sure it would put you in a tropical party mood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good! Very summery!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  12. This cake sounds de-lish! I love the pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just back, looking at this again, and thinking...I really want this cake....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm! Naughty, but nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes this would be a BIG hit here! Thanks my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This cake is awsome my sister inlaw made this cake an brought to the camp site where we were camping it was the first time I had tried it an fell in love with it all the flavors taste so well with one another I couldn't stop eating it was soooo good it's easy to make so if ya want make something for someone when they come over for dinner make this they will be impressed I was.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mandy, so glad that you enjoy this cake! Thanks for letting me know how much your family likes it.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!