Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lasagna Rollups - Adapted from Ellie Krieger

I love a good lasagna. With pasta, and a good, flavorful sauce covered in cheese, what's not to love? I finally got around to making Lasagna Rolls and they were wonderful! I made the sauce the day before I wanted to serve this dish, to save time and let the sauce develop even more flavor. To make the rolls, the ricotta and spinach mixture is spread along each lasagna noodle, and then topped with some of the tomato sauce.

Then roll the noodles up and place in a baking pan. I'm not really sure if this is any faster than layering the lasagna, but it's still a great idea. These rolls are so pretty and pack a punch of flavor. The original recipe calls for portobello mushrooms, but my daughter hates mushrooms, so I used some Italian sausage instead. Next time I'll make these when she's not home because I love mushrooms! But, the sausage gave the sauce more flavor, so I was happy. The sauce needed a bit more flavor, but that was easy to remedy. Whether you use mushrooms, or sausage, you'll enjoy this dish! I hope you'll give it a try. Here's the recipe.

LASAGNA ROLLUPS
adapted from Ellie Krieger
Make the sauce first.
Sauce ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
about 8 ounces Italian sausage (original recipe uses 12 ounces diced portobello mushrooms)
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes with juice
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, or, 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh (I used fresh)
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
2 teaspoons sugar- my addition
In a large pot, heat the oil and add the sausage and onion and cook until sausage is done and onion is tender. Add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about i minute. Add the canned tomatoes, and break apart. I like to use a potato masher to break them up quickly. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes. NOTE: If using fresh oregano, add it to the sauce the last 5 minutes of cooking. Taste, and adjust seasoning.
Other Ingredients:
12 lasagna noodles- recipe calls for whole wheat noodles
4 cups Easy Tomato Sauce, recipe follows, or store bought marinara
1 (15) ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 egg, lightly beaten
freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of ground nutmeg
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 ounces grated Mozzarella cheese
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain them and spread out onto aluminum foil or waxed paper to prevent them from sticking together.
2. In a bowl, add the ricotta cheese, spinach, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix well.
3. Spread 1 cup of sauce in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
4. On each noodle spread about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture. Top with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sauce mixture.. Carefully roll up each noodle and place in the baking dish. Spread remaining sauce over the Lasagna Rolls. Top with grated cheeses, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake another 15 minutes. Now you have some delicious Lasagna Rolls! Enjoy!



18 comments:

  1. Lynda, this is the best lasagna I have ever seen in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a similar recipe once and thought the same thing! No way is this faster, at least not for me as pokey as I am, but it's different and yummy, so worth the trouble for a change. Sure looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lasagna rollups are so nifty! although i enjoy the tradional layered kind, this is much more appropriate for a dinner party or a special occasion. very nice, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda your photo says it all. YUM! I too have made many versions of these and I agree that rolled up or layered, they both take about the same time to make. Just different presentations. I will have lasagna any day, in any form, as long as it has lots of gooey cheese like yours. Did you save me any? BTW-How did you like her Easy Tomato Sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, thanks, it was really good.

    Mary, I'm sure pokey. I thought this recipe took just as much work as traditional lasagna too!

    Carla, the sauce didn't have as much flavor as I wanted. I increased the oregano a little, and the sausage also added some extra flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has everything I love but presented in a more appealing way! I've never rolled my lasagna and now I am wondering why.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a lasagna last year that was big enough to feed a German army. When am I going to get it through my head that there are only two people in this house?? Haha. These roll-ups would be perfect for us - just make as many (or as few) as we want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are wonderful. A beautiful company dish and I love the addition of sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful. The only time saving lasagna that I've come across is one that's made with ravioli. It probably is not as tasty as yours. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so cheesy and scrumptious! I'll bet the sausage is great in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this turned out beautifully! I love how the roll-ups naturally make the portion sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look great Lynda...now I want these for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wanting to make these for so long - thanks for the reminder. They look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friend Kay gave me a similar recipe a year ago but your post convinced me it's time to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dont let my husband see these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried these not too long ago. So healthy and delicious! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my kind of pasta, looks and sounds absolutely delish. I would go for the mushrooms in preference to sausage too.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!