Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Spicy Tilapia with Pineapple Salsa

This is one amazing meal, full of flavor, color and it's healthy and quick! What could be better? I made this for just 2 of us, but it's easy to make as much as you need. It's a fast weeknight meal, but it's special enough for company too. I did the fish in a cast iron skillet, but it can also be done on the grill with some veggies. The Tilapia is somewhat spicy, but the Pineapple Salsa really enhances the fish and adds such a freshness to the meal that leaves you wanting more! This recipe is slightly adapted from one I found at Cooking Light. Here's what you need;
Spicy Tilapia with Pineapple Salsa
For the salsa you need;
1 1/2-2 cups diced, fresh pineapple ( you may buy the fresh chunks, if desired)
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
1/3-1/2 cup diced Roma tomato
1/2 cup diced red onion
1-2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
2 Tbs. Rice Vinegar
Mix all ingredients, cover and refrigerate till ready to use
For the Tilapia, you need
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
1/4 tsp.celery seed
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne
Or, you can use some Creole seasoning, INSTEAD of the above seasonings, but I didn't have any, so I had to improvise. But the flavor of the fish was perfect for us. If you are going to serve rice, as I did, start it first. Heat your skillet to medium heat, with 1-2 tbs. of canola oil. Season both sides of the tilapia with the spice mix. When skillet is ready, lay the fish in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the fish flakes easily when pierced with a fork. It cooks quickly, so don't leave it to do something else! When done, remove tilapia to a platter. Ahhh, it smells so good, and tastes so good! Serve with the yummy Pineapple Salsa. Here's how I served it;

I spooned some cooked brown rice on the plates and made a bed for the tilapia. Lay the fish on the rice and top with this wonderful salsa. I served it with my Oven Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Vinegar, a salad and some good bread. This was a great meal, that I'll make again, many times!
I used to be rather intimidated by cooking fish, but with easy dishes like this, I think I'm getting over it! What's your favorite fish?


24 comments:

  1. What a great colorful meal. That salsa sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pineapple salsa...with cilantro...yummie! Looks terrific with tilapia. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that salsa. A healthy and colorful meal is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I love fruit salsa on fish! I am allergic to fresh pineapple, but something in the canning process makes it okay for me to eat. I know canned wouldn't taste as good, but do you think it would still work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delectable dining- yes, you could use canned pineapple; the taste will be some different, but it would still be good.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how colorful this is! I keep seeing pineapple salsa today, making me want some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a very inviting and delicious meal. I love tilapia and you can do so many different flavors with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another tasty way to use pineapple! My fish dishes are usually pretty boring, I like how you've really added flavor to this tilapia -- very nice presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this same recipe on another blog and I think the Gods are trying to tell me something. I guess I better go buy some fish and pineapple!
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a hearty and flavorsome tilapia!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe:)

    "Join our growing food community and submit your heirloom recipe for all the world to share:)

    Welcome~~~
    http://foodcreate.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a tasty and colorful way to dress up fish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynda your salsa is amazing and I just love that you paired it with the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously awesome warm weather food! Sounds amazing...I love fruit salsas with seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful dish... love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just my kind of recipe. I love fish with fruit salsa. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so good! I have some tilapia in the freezer right now, but need to buy pineapple. I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been venturing into making seafood for the first time. I made tilapia recently and it was so good! But not quite as involved or good sounding as this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know I love pineapple salsa! I bet it's great on the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i've heard that tilapia is a very mild fish that even fish-haters might enjoy, so i think i may give it a shot. with that salsa on top, it has a good chance of being liked!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grace, you are right, Tilapia is a mild tasting fish that also does not have a real strong "fishy" smell to it. That's one of the reasons why I love it!

    Maris, you can cut some of the preparation time by using a premade creole seasoning; I would have used that instead of the spice mix, if I had it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this recipe! The tilapia looks so good and the pineapple salsa would sure compliment the fish..

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks so refreshing! I have some cilantro in the fridge calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am loving this meal and it is so pretty. I adore tilapia and will definitely try it with the pineapple salsa. I need another kitchen and to eat four meals a day! (Oh. I probably already do that).

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!