Tuesday, June 30, 2009

24 Hour Coleslaw

Do you like coleslaw? Not everyone in my family does, so for years I rarely made it. When I did, it was this slaw, which is big on flavor and it's one that most people will like, if they like slaw, that is! It needs to be made ahead of time because the dressing is boiled for just a bit and then poured over the shredded cabbage ingredients and then it needs to marinate for several hours. It's a recipe you should make the day before you want to serve it. It's perfect for for the 4th celebrations as you can make it ahead, and have it the whole weekend. It is supposed to last 1 week or more, but ours gets eaten waaay before then. I am lucky if it lasts 4 days as my husband loves this stuff and will eat it for a snack! I found this recipe in a couple of church cookbooks even before I was married, so I don't know it's origin or how long it's been around. I do have another slaw recipe, but decided to share this one because it can be made ahead, which frees up your time some on the day you want to serve it. So, let's make slaw!

24 HOUR COLESLAW
1 medium head of cabbage, shredded, about 2 pounds; ( or use the bags of preshredded cabbage from your store)
1 onion finely diced
1 green bell pepper finely diced or shredded
Place cabbage, onion and bell pepper in a very large bowl
Dressing mix:
1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup salad oil, I used canola
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp dry mustard
Bring dressing ingredients to a boil in a saucepan. Pour over cabbage mixture while hot. Cover bowl and place in fridge for overnight or 24 hours before serving. Stir well before serving. I have a friend who adds a few sliced, stuffed olives to this slaw before serving, which adds a tasty touch, but my family won't eat them. Sigh~Anyway, this is a tangy, sweet delicious slaw which goes with any meal, indoors or outdoors, so enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. This may actually be a coleslaw recipe that my husband will try! (He refuses to eat anything that is mayo-based). It looks perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mayo! Yahoo!
    I love a coleslaw with an oil and vinegar base and this sounds fantastic with the celery seed and dry mustard. Will definitely give this one a go! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that this doesnt have mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might need to make this for the fourth! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. make ahead salads are ideal when a holiday weekend filled with get togethers approaches! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not huge on coleslaw - I love the make-ahead and the melding of flavors and mymidwestern family will love it. Thank-you. Nice to find "out of the ordinary."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynda, I used to make this recipe and forgot about it. I love it! So glad you reminded me. The fact that you don't have to deal with mayo and worring about leaving it out at a picnic would be reason enough to fix it, but it is actually better. Your photo is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm a big fan of the cole slaw--a pulled pork barbecue sandwich isn't complete without it. great recipe, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love coleslaw! I'll have to give this one a try. Make ahead makes it just that much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lot of the old-time recipes are classic and very worth keeping and making. This is a very popular coleslaw recipe, great for a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is perfect for summer...light and refreshing...you got a follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks and sounds fabulous, Lynda, I hope you enjoyed your 4th of July celebrations. I had to take one of my cats to the vet and he asked me, "What are you doing to celebrate the 4th?" I said, "Nothing, we're Brits, we lost, remember?" :-)
    Hubby recently made a new slaw, it was really good, will be posting it soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love coleslaw, and i am definitely going to make this (but not now, because cabbage isn;t seasonal in crete - i could plan a whole menu through your blog: beef burgers, coleslaw, potato salad, ice-cream with fudge sundae for dessert: be sure to look out for a post where i sing your praises right through the menu)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you, thankyou! I
      really enjoy your blog too, and I've learned so much about your country just by reading your blog.

      Delete
  14. I wanted cole slaw today for football watching party. I made this and put in the refrigerator for about an hour and it was still great. I made your grilled chicken wings last weekend and they were awesome. You are my go to recipe site now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad both dishes were winners for you, and I appreciate your readership.

      Delete
  15. Good post. You might be interested in a spicy and crunchy cole slaw I made http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/spicy-crunchy-coleslaw.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. this sound good for my belly lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. You won't be disappointed with this slaw. Great with pulled pork, fried catfish, barbequed chicken legs, on hot dogs. Light and refreshing as opposed to heavy, mayo based slaws served in restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, it is a refeshing coleslaw and goes with everything-thanks for your comment!

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!