Friday, June 12, 2009

Build Your Own Taco Salad

I've made Taco Salad for years and it has gradually evolved into a build your own salad. I used to mix the whole thing into a large bowl, but when you have a couple of extra picky kids, I couldn't always make it the way I liked if I wanted them to eat! I'm sure some of you have been there! Our daughter, the youngest will eat most things, but her older brothers were so picky growing up. One of them still is! So, the "build your own" idea works well for us. I cook the meat and add seasonings, and chop all veggies and put in separate bowls. My husband and I like ours pretty much the same, except, he won't eat avocado or black olives, so you see my dilemma. I buy the avocado just for ME! I have to eat the whole thing, hehe! Here's how I make Taco Salad;Build Your Own Taco Salad
1 pound lean ground beef- chuck or sirloin
1/2 finely diced onion, optional
Brown the beef and onion in a skillet until done. And I do brown the meat and don't turn it until it has a brown color; I don't like grey meat that isn't allowed to brown! Drain all fat from the skillet. At this point I add spices, or if you prefer, you can use a ready made taco seasoning.
I use 2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp.garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder, (only if I don't use the fresh onion)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
Stir these into the drained meat and taste the meat to see if it needs more seasoning. Tasting your food as you prepare it is important! And like I said, use a prepared taco seasoning if you wish-I won't judge! :)
As for the rest of the salad, the amounts depend on the size of your family. Here's what I use.
1 head of iceberg lettuce, or a combination of iceberg and romaine, finely chopped
1/2 a red onion or a bunch green onions, finely diced
3 or 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
black beans, drained and rinsed
fresh or frozen corn, thawed
sour cream
salsa, purchased or homemade
cilantro, if desired
shredded cheese
tortilla chips, I try to buy low salt chips
We start with the chips on the plate first, next the meat, lettuce and tomato, and then whatever ingredients you desire, ending with cheese, sour cream and salsa! Enjoy!
What do you like on your taco salad?

15 comments:

  1. Lynda, I do the same thing for me and Ole Sweetie-Pi. ALL the fixings go into separate bowls, and we heap whatever we like.

    Boy your salad sounds over the top good!!

    I'll have an avocado as well. Big YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to make Taco salads. I do the same as you..Build your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taco night was always my favorite growing up, for the very fact that my mom had this same "build your own" approach. When you are a kid and rarely control what you eat, I guess it's something special to get to decide for yourself. I would take the salad in the picture hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great ideas to go along with a great recipe. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm a fan of this meal, and very much so. however, i generally make one change--i take a flour tortilla and bake it draped over a round dish so i can have a tortilla bowl. it just tastes better that way to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do the same thing!!! Only we melt the cheese on chips and then pile everything on...uh, nachos I guess. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds and looks delicous. I just got some low salt tortilla chips from Trader Joe's and a jarred mango corn salsa. Think I will try this recipe with them. Thanks! And thanks for visiting my blog. See you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taco salad is one of my all time favs - this one looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great taco salad. We are big fans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic taco salad! We do ours as make your own, too... we actually put the boys portion inside a wrap and they devour it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great, I love dishes like this - fun for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also do "build-your own." And it's one of the family's favorite meals. I lay out a taco bar and they feast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one nice looking taco salad! I like all of the flavours going on there.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!