Friday, June 5, 2009

Sour Cream Pound Cake

Don't you just hate it when your computer rebels and doesn't do what it's supposed to do? That's what has happened the last 2 days, so I'm really behind getting this posted. I'm sure all of you have posted some tantalizing recipes and I'm anxious to read your blogs! So, I'll get started before this computer decides it wants to shut down again!
This has been my go-to recipe for pound cake for a number of years. It's rich and heavy with a dense crumb and a fabulous buttery and vanilla flavor. I never frost or glaze it, but sometimes I dust a little powdered sugar over it. I got rather carried away this time, but it didn't hurt the flavor at all! I like to serve it with fresh strawberries and blueberries, or some fresh fruit, like peaches. Yum! This great cake was found in an old Taste of Home magazine, so enjoy!
SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large mixing bowl cream butter with sugar and vanilla til nice and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add alternately with the sour cream and beat on low speed until just blended. Bowl will be quite full! Pour batter into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 325 for about an hour and 20 minutes or until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool cake in the pan for 15 minutes and then remove it to a wire rack to finish cooling. You can get 15-20 servings and served with berries it makes a nice summer dessert when you are having company. This cake can be made the day before you want to serve it. And the berries make it look so patriotic, don't you think? My husband likes to add ice cream or whipped cream to it, which tastes delicious, but that's usually too much for me. Now, I'm going to catch up on some of your posts. Have a great day!

15 comments:

  1. This is my favorite kind of cake, and it pairs up so nicely with fruit or ice cream. And what a mouthwatering photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a versatile dessert. I know the sour cream will make it moist and a perfect partner for macerated berries. Thank you for sharing this with us. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE pound cake,love it, love it. I agree with Mary ~ the sour cream must make this so tender and moist. I will most certainly save this. YUM YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using sour cream in cakes... they come out so moist. This looks great with the fruit... no need for frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a classic for a reason! It looks so good with the fresh berries. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love discovering new pound cake recipes! Thanks for posting this! I will add it to my to-make list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. perfect. all i need is a pile of whipped cream. and a spoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pound cake...this looks so moist and tempting! Do you ship ;) ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. the fresh fruit makes this pound cake even more tantalising!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cake so soft and i love the pan u used !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pound cake! I don't know why it always slips my mind. Your recipe sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not keen on frosting, I find it just too sweet so this cake looks perfect, especially with the fruit. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, I can't wait to try this. I have a weakness for pound cake, and this looks wonderful!
    Erin (from The Sisters' Cafe)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!