Sunday, May 3, 2009

Roasted Potatoes with Herbs

How I love the humble potato! I love it baked, fried, mashed, in casseroles and any other way you can think of! My favorite though, is roasted in the oven at high heat with salt and some fresh herbs and a little pepper. It' so easy, and fixed this way, they go with so many different meals. These tasty tubers are Petite Golds, which are about the size of golf balls, or a little larger, and have a creamy, buttery taste and texture. For preparation, scrub them with water and a brush, then dry well with paper towels. I used about 10 potatoes which was more than my husband and I could eat. Cut in 2-4 pieces, depending on how large the potatoes are. In a bowl, add the potatoes, 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon fresh herbs and mix.
Pour mixture onto a baking sheet. Add kosher salt (or whichever salt you prefer), and pepper, if desired. I love pepper on these tators, but my hubby could do without it! I used about 1 T. fresh chopped Rosemary with these potatoes, but use whatever herbs you like. Thyme is a favorite and garlic always makes them extra, extra delicious! Dried herbs will work, but use less than the fresh as the flavor is stronger. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

Check them after 25 minutes as they will cook quickly and you don't want to burn these addictive tators! I like them pretty golden brown, but oven temps can vary. Take them out of the oven and enjoy these delicious, crispy potatoes with any number of dishes. I sprinkled more Rosemary on them for an extra kick of flavor before serving. You may also use new, red skinned potatoes, or even substitute russets or other large potatoes. Just cut them in smaller, uniform pieces to ensure they are evenly cooked. This is such an easy side dish, but totally delicious! If you haven't made these yet, try them today!

7 comments:

  1. These look delicious. I'll bet they taste as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasting potatoes like that! I don't do it often enough though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! It's a standard around here. Perfect for Sunday dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those beautiful golden crescents of goodness! YAY for roasted potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY! I love herb roasted potatoes. I haven't made them in a while either. Maybe tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen these Petit Golds in the store here - but wish I had. I do a similar dish with baby red potatoes, or new potatoes from the garden - srummylicious.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!