Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Mother's Oatmeal Cake

When I reminisce about growing up, one of my favorite things to ponder is my Mother's cooking, and the aromas that filled our home when she was in the kitchen! There are some dishes that if I close my eyes for a moment, I think I can really catch a whiff of what she made so many years ago! This cake is one of my fondest baking memories, because the aroma of Cinnamon permeates the house, and I can't even begin to tell you how the frosting smells as it goes under the broiler for a minute! The fragrance of pecans and coconut in the oven is just out of this world! This was my favorite cake growing up, and I'll admit, it remains one of my top favorites today!
The cake is so moist and tends to get moister the longer you have it. The frosting is so addictive that I'd love to just take a spoon and eat it as is, but then that would mean none for the cake! I'm sure that many of you have had this yummy, cinnamony cake as I've seen it on other food blogs before. It's just so good that it will never "go out of style"! So, let's make it!

OATMEAL CAKE
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup Minute Oats
1/2 cup shortening ( or I have used butter)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
In a bowl, pour boiling water over oatmeal and let stand 20 minutes. In another bowl, cream together shortening(or butter), brown sugar and white sugar; add eggs and oatmeal mixture and mix well. Then add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix thoroughly. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, until done.
While cake is baking, stir together frosting;
BOILED ICING; Mix 1/3 cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar and1/2 milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add in 1 cup shredded coconut and 1/2 cup chopped pecans and boil till thick, about 1 minute. Spread on cake while hot and place back in oven under broiler for a minute or two. Don't leave it long or the frosting will cook too long and be hard when the cake cools down. You're just wanting the tips of the coconut and nuts to toast, but they will burn if left too long. Try not to tear into the cake too soon, but if you do, who could blame you! It's just that good!



I am submitting this cake recipe to HoneyB, at The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch, for this month's Family Recipes; Memories of Family, Food and Fun! Be sure to stop by her blog and check out all the yummy recipes! What was your favorite dessert while growing up?



19 comments:

  1. This is THE BEST!! I love everything about it. I have on quite similar... it does bring back the memories, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...you have no idea how much I want this cake right now. That frosting is my very favorite EVER. Can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...suddenly I'm craving it. It looks so yummy...you have so many nice looking dish and recipe...gotta check your posts more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband would go crazy if he saw this. I will have to make it for him. It looks fabulous...so warm and comforting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this cake is a real eye catcher and wehn you said the cinnamon aroma permeated the house, well I am sold. My family would be over the moon with this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to try this one! If it has oatmeal in it, then it's health food right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never eaten oatmeal cake, but can't wait to try it! It sounds and looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda, my husband loves oatmeal cake. I'll be making this really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Barbara, oatmeal is healthy, so this cake must be health food! :)

    Ann, thanks for stopping by.

    Thanks for all your warm comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really unique! And that topping is to die for. Definitely going on the "to-make" list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynda, with a wonderful recipe to share. I can almost smell it baking. Oh, I am so going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh does this ever look so delicious! I have never had this type of cake but it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. perhaps you'll recall that this is the exact cake that i craved and made for my birthday this year. it's absolutely delightful, and your pictures and memories have me craving it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How I wish I had a piece of this with my coffee this morning! And I know what you mean about the icing - It looks so good I doubt I could get it from bowl to cake without devouring half!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do remember your birthday cake Grace, and there's not a better cake to celebrate with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, I haven't seen this cake in years! Not since I left the midwest! Oh man, I can remember how amazing it smelled and the taste ... outta sight! My husband would absolutely love this. Thanks for bringing back the memories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous cake! Thanks for participating--and I hope you do again as you remember other great smells coming from your mom's kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this cake looks great! i love the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are days when I wish my husband liked coconut and then there are days when I realize I can make something like this and eat it all and not share!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!