Friday, May 29, 2009

Hamburger Pie

Do you have picky eaters in your family? When my 3 children were young, my 2 boys were quite picky, but my daughter would eat most things. I thought my boys would turn into PBJ's or Mac and Cheese before they ever grew up! Well, Hamburger Pie is a dish that all 3 of my kids would eat, so it was a standard dish in our family during those growing up years. I made it the other night because I had everything on hand and I hope that some of your kids will enjoy it too!
First, you peel 3 or 4 potatoes, cut them up and put into water to boil. Mash them when done. Then, brown some ground beef and onion in a skillet, drain it, and add some tomato sauce, water and some green beans. Let it simmer a few minutes and pour into a 8x8 casserole dish. Mound mashed potatoes on top; top potatoes with cheese and bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly. This was one of my oldest son's favorite meals!

HAMBURGER PIE
3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut up
1 egg, beaten
milk, for the mashed potatoes
1 ground chuck or other lean ground beef
1 can green beans, or about 2 cups of cooked fresh or frozen green beans
1 1/4 cups tomato sauce, or you can use 1 can of tomato soup, if desired
1/4 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded American or Cheddar cheese, for topping
In a pot of boiling water add cut up potatoes and a pinch of salt and boil until tender.
Drain potatoes and mash while hot; blend in egg . Add enough milk to make the potatoes fluffy, but still able to hold their shape. Sometimes, I skip using the egg as it's only purpose that I can see is to help the potatoes hold their shape. In a skillet, brown the ground chuck and the onion together and drain off any grease that accumulates. Add tomato sauce, or tomato soup, water, green beans and salt and pepper, if using. If using tomato sauce, I add 2 teaspoons of sugar at this time (optional). Pour mixture into a 8x8 inch casserole dish and mound the mashed potatoes on top. Top the potatoes with the grated cheese and bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree oven til heated through, about 20 minutes. Serves 4-6. Hope your kids enjoy!

It isn't an elegant meal, but back in the growing up years, I was just happy to find a dish that everyone liked! I haven't ever been picky; guess I love to eat too much! How about you? Are you a picky eater?



18 comments:

  1. I am LOVING this recipe! It's just so homey and satisfying. I read the recipe and I just know that a really great Mom made this for her family. I'm not a mom, but I'm going to make this! It looks GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm filing this for the visit's of my grandchildren. You never know who is eating - or not eating - what. It's nice to have something they all might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this looks like great comfort food! I am not a picky eater at all. I can count the number of things I won't eat on one hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Looks so delicious! I would love to try to make it for my weekend lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this kind of comfort food and so do my grandchildren. I don't consider myself a picky eater but do insist on top quality ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for resurrecting this wonderful recipe. We used to have it at home when I was a kid, but I haven't thought about it in years. I'll definitely fix it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does look like such a "comfort food" meal! My husband is SUPER picky, but I bet he'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i know a picky eater, and her name is grace. :) seriously, i have ridiculous standards when it comes to food, but this would satisfy me completely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure you children would love it too. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great meal for kids... this one's right up there with mac & cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids belong to the picky eaters club, as well as the "don't let the food groups touch" club! This dish, however, might entice them to break free, especially with that cheese on top. Mmmm ... cheese! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Luckily my boys are pretty good eaters, but I remember casserole dishes like this from when I was growing up. My mom tried to make things as interesting as possible while getting healthy food into us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am immediately passing this on to my friend who was just complaining about how her kids were so picky about what they ate. Thanks, I'm sure she will be serving this for dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a variation on a couple of English dishes - Shepherds Pie and Cottage Pie. These are favorites in our house too, so I'm not surprised yours is such a hit, sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this recipe Lynda! I took your plan and then tweaked it to give it a Mexican flavor. I really love this combination and casseroles like this.

    Keep up the great recipes!
    Mandy

    http://learn-laugh-cook.blogspot.com/2010/12/fiesta-style-sheperds-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am making this right now. Waiting on my potatoes to cook, then into the oven. From what's in it, I'm expecting it to taste like a dinner of meatloaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes....except all in one dish. I had a pound of hamburger thawed and needed a quick, easy recipe for it. Sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I hope you enjoyed this old recipe as much as my family. this was one of my kids favorites way back when they were small.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!