Sunday, May 17, 2009

Grilled Ginger Peach Glazed Chicken

I had it in my head to grill yesterday and nothing was going to stop me! I had a recipe I've been wanting to try, but so many days we all were just not home at the same time, and our weather has been so stormy with it raining most days lately! Yesterday we saw the sun, so I pulled out this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, July 2007 issue. This recipe, from Fred Thompson, a South Carolina cook book author, was so delicious and different from the usual BBQ sauces that we like. We like the spicy, sweet and tangy tomato based sauces, but I decided to spring a new one on my brood. The new sauce is supposed to have prepared horseradish in it, but my husband doesn't like it, so I subbed something a little milder, plus I used a different vinegar than called for, but this was an amazing sauce. It's a keeper that I'll be making again! We have a charcoal grill and for this recipe it has to be set up for indirect heat. In other words, the chicken is cooked over a grill pan, with the coals placed on either side of the pan. That way, the chicken doesn't burn and it slow cooks until done. It was so tender and juicy! I used thighs and legs and I removed the skin on about half the pieces to see how it would do. I don't really like eating grilled chicken skin, so if I remove it after it's cooked, I lose the sauce. And I didn't want to lose this yummy sauce! It's sweet and spicy, but with a wonderful peach flavor! Try it!
Grilled Ginger Peach Glazed Chicken
2-3 pounds chicken pieces( thighs and legs or breast halves, skin removed, if desired)
salt and pepper
1/2 cup peach preserves, large pieces cut up
1 Tbs. white wine vinegar, (I used rice vinegar)
1 Tbs. prepared horseradish, (I subbed Inglehoffer deli mustard with grated horseradish, Yum!)
1 tsp. freshly grated gingerroot
Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt and pepper. For a charcoal grill,arrange preheated coals around a drip pan. Place chicken pieces on grill over drip pan and cover grill. Grill over medium heat for 35-40 minutes. While chicken is cooking, place peach preserves in a small sauce pan along with vinegar, horseradish, gingerrroot, 1/4 tsps. salt and 1/2tsp. pepper. Heat just until preserves have melted. Brush peach mixture on chicken and grill covered another 10-20 minutes, until chicken is done, about 180 degrees in dark meat. Brush several times with peach mixture during last minutes of grilling. Use all the sauce; it's too good to waste! Enjoy! I served this with baked beans, ( a staple my son insists we must have), and coleslaw. It was a perfect, late evening meal for four.

15 comments:

  1. It's impossible not to like this chicken. It really looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chicken looks perfect and delicious! I'll have to remember to use the indirect method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect grilled meat for the summer - all that i need with that is a salad

    ReplyDelete
  4. millions of peaches, peaches for me! i think the sweet, luscious preserves would be magical combined with chicken. i've tried apricot, but i think peach would be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds soooooo good. I need to try it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious to me that I weep because I see it but I cannot eat it RIGHT NOW! The peach sounds out of this world good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful sauce for grilled chicken. I may try this for Memorial Day. Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great recipe for summer grilling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! Now that warm weather is here, I've been grilling at least once a week. I definitely want to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chicken looks perfect. Keeper here winner chicken dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want some of this... it looks so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm! Finger-licking good. I'm always on the lookout for good grilling recipes and this looks super. We actually wheeled out our BBQ at the weekend too, like you we've been pretty waterlogged for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious! And great colour on your grilling, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love grilled chicken and am always interested in new sauces and glazes for it. Your ginger peach glaze sounds amazing! My son really likes chicken wings, and I'm planning on making them this weekend. Thanks for giving me a great glaze to try on them! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!