Thursday, May 21, 2009

Low Fat Chicken Marinara

One time, when I was wanting a quick, week night meal that was also healthy, I came up with this dish, which is easy to make and can be on the table in 30 minutes! I guess it's a slimmed down version of Chicken Parmesan, as the chicken is baked, rather than breaded and browned in oil. Sometimes, instead of baking the chicken, I'll cut it up in 1 inch pieces, brown it in a little olive oil, and then pour in the sauce ingredients. It's good either way. I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this, but you could use boneless thighs if desired. The sauce only takes about 10 minutes to cook, so if you have starving kids begging for food, it will be ready soon, plus, it's hearty enough for adult appetites too! This makes enough for about 4 servings.LOW FAT CHICKEN MARINARA

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless thighs(I used 3 large breasts to serve 4)

1 large can crushed tomatoes, 28 ounces( you can use diced tomatoes, if you prefer)

1 cup diced onion

1&1/2 tsp. dried oregano, or about 1 1/2 Tbs. fresh chopped oregano

1 tsp. dried basil, or 1 Tbs. fresh basil

2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional

2 tsp. sugar, if desired

salt and pepper to taste

8 ounces of spaghetti, or other pasta of choice

Parmesan cheese, for topping

Brush chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet in a 4oo degree oven and bake for about 20 minutes until juices run clear. When done, let chicken rest on pan and tent with foil to keep it warm. As soon as chicken is in the oven, heat a large pot of water for the pasta. When water comes to a boil, add about 1 tsp. salt and 8 ounces pasta and cook until done. Drain. In a large sauce pan in 1 Tbs. olive oil cook onions and garlic till tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, cayenne, sugar and 1/2 tsp. sea salt and black pepper, if desired. Simmer for about 10 minutes. To serve, I place a portion of pasta on the plates, top with a spoon full of sauce; top that with some thinly sliced chicken and more sauce, if you want. Sprinkle on some cheese and dinner is served! A fast, healthy week night meal that will leave you time to do other important things in the evening. What's one of your favorite quick meals that you serve on busy night?

11 comments:

  1. The colors here are wonderful and I so appreciate a healthier version of old favorites. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearty and healthy, plus delicious. I certainly appreciate all those qualities. Great post! Thank you for sharing. (I hadn't thought about baking the chicken first, great tip!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baking chicken parm too. It's still all deliciously crispy without the fat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! I like to make chicken parm at home when I can, my boys will always eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love delicious recipe without the guilt - this looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It on my menu love the low cal part. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yum! This looks great.. even without all the fat ;) Pasta is always a favorite of mine for a quick dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great healthy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all for quick and easy - this looks and sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple fast and yummy! I am all over it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really good! I'm trying to diet..operative word, trying, and would love to make this.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!