Monday, March 9, 2009

Whole Wheat Carrot- Banana Bread

Who doesn't love a good piece of Banana Bread? Do we need another recipe for Banana Bread? Probably not, but don't we enjoy trying something just a little bit different? I sure do, so that's why I decided to try this bread after sorting through a stack of "must try" recipes the other day. It has been cut out of some forgotten magazine, so I can't give a proper source for this yummy Whole Wheat Carrot- Banana Bread. I eagerly got all the ingredients out, turned on the oven, and then read the recipe again and discovered that I didn't have the proper sized pans! It called for 7&1/2in. x3&3/4in. pans, which was smaller than the regular bread loaf pans that I have. I toyed with just pouring all the dough into 1 pan, as it could work, maybe. But I had a recollection from my early married years of the first time I made my Mother-in-Laws homemade dinner rolls, and she assumed that I knew that it would take two pans for the whole recipe, but in fact, I didn't know that! I had dough oozing out of my pan and wrapping around the racks of the oven and creating quite a mess for me to clean up! So, I decided to play this safe, especially since I wanted to take pictures, and used 2 larger pans. The loaves are not as high as I would like, but at least they didn't flow over the sides of the pans, leaving me with a mess. An added bonus was that the loaves took less time to bake! So here's what you will need:
Whole Wheat Carrot-Banana Bread
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar ( the recipe calls for brown sugar, but I used 1/2 white and 1/2 brown)
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp.cinnamon
1 cup ripe, mashed bananas
1 cup finely shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to350 degrees. Grease 2 7&1/2 in. loaf pans. In a large bowl beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs. In another bowl combine flours, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add dry ingredients and mashed bananas alternately to butter mixture, stirring after each addition. Fold in shredded carrots and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 40-50 minutes. Cool in pans for about 15 minutes and then remove bread from pans to finish cooling on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves. In my larger pans, it took about 25 minutes to bake.
This bread is moist and yummy with a little different texture than the other recipe that I use. However, my husband doesn't like it as well as my old standby. He thinks it's a bit dry. It does have a more crumbly texture due to the whole wheat flour, but I do not find it dry. So, 1 bread, 2 opinions. I guess that if I make it again, I'll take it to a ladies brunch, or some other activity! Have you ever baked something and loved it only to have your husband or someone else not like it?

4 comments:

  1. Great recipe. I really should use whole wheat flour in my banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of carrot bread, and I've heard of banana bread, but never carrot-banana bread. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam and Sara,the whole wheat did change the taste and texture some, but all in all it is good bread. My husband, who did not like it that much, still ate it! What a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oh my, this looks absolutely yummy. I love bananas, but they don't return the favor, unfortunately I'm allergic to them. So while I can admire the pictures I can never sample the finished product. Oh hum :-(

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!