Monday, March 16, 2009

Low Fat Blueberry Muffins

I've had this Low fat Blueberry Muffin recipe tagged to try for along time, so I finally decided this was the time. I have a favorite blueberry muffin recipe, but I wanted to have a low fat version on hand also. With low fat yogurt and buttermilk, they sounded really good! And they are, but not as good as my tried and true recipe. But I decided to post this because I really liked the vanilla, lemony flavor and ,of course, they are lower in fat. The texture is different because there are no eggs or butter in this recipe. If you are looking for a low fat muffin recipe, this might be the one
for you! If you want to give them a try, here's the recipe, slightly adapted from Taste of Home.
Low-Fat Blueberry Muffins
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
1 cup blueberries
1 cup vanilla nonfat yogurt
1 cup buttermilk
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and lemon peel. Gently stir in the blueberries. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and the buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients until moistened. Batter is thick and I got 14 muffins instead of 12 like the recipe said.
Spoon batter into liners in muffin pans. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Have you ever ever been disappointed after trying a recipe that you really thought you'd love?
UPDATE! This morning, I have to say, the muffins taste better! They are still heavy, but the flavor is more pronounced and just better than last night.

7 comments:

  1. hi lynda
    thanks for stopping by my blog
    your recipes look mouth watering, and i can imagine how happy your kids must feel when they come home to mama's cooking
    i look forward to checking out more of your recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some fresh blueberries I need to use up - thanks for a tasty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, glad you stopped by; your blog is amazing! I love your different recipes.
    Pam, muffins are a great way to use those blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool that you used flavored yogurt to make these! My hubby really likes blueberries, and I bet he'd enjoy these muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM, those look delish, I gotta try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't eat many sweet things but I must confess a weakness for blueberry muffins, yours look delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. healthy muffins? what a notion. :) i'm a sucker for all blueberry muffins--i haven't had a version that i haven't liked--so the healthier, the better. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!