Friday, March 13, 2009

Chocolate Chip Scones


"Mom, why are you taking so many pictures of the scones?" This was asked by my 21 year old daughter recently as she watched me arrange these scones for pictures. "Because I want them to look as wonderful in pictures as they taste," I replied. Most of my pictures were really boring looking, not at all enticing a reader to go out and make these delicious scones. I admire all of you talented food bloggers who take such luscious looking photos of meals you have made. I have a ways to go! But back to these amazing scones. I have not had traditional scones before, so I wouldn't be able to compare these Chocolate Chip Scones with them. These are crisp on the outside and tender and slightly sweet inside with with bursts of chocolate and a slight tang oflemon, if you use the lemon, that is. My family prefers the scones without the lemon peel, and frankly they are just as good without it. I love this recipe because if you want to, you can prepare these the night before, and bake them the next morning! How convenient is that! The dough can
be rather sticky, so sometime I refrigerate it after mixing to make it easier to handle and to cut into wedges. I like neat looking wedges after all! After mixing the dough, you pull and pat it together into a ball and lay it on a floured surface. Pat it into an 8 inch circle and then cut into 8 wedges. The recipe said 6 wedges, but I thought that was too much. You could make them smaller, if desired. Taking a pie server, transfer them to a baking sheet and place in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Or, you may cover unbaked scones with plastic wrap and stick the pan in the fridge until morning. Just be sure to preheat the oven well. You'll be greeted with a treat! How about hot scones for breakfast with coffee or tea, or in the middle of the afternoon for a pick-me-up. This recipe that I've been making for a couple of years now is slightly adapted from Epicurious. Let's make them!

Chocolate Chip Scones
2 cups all purpose flour, unbleached is called for
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp.baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. cold, unsalted butter
1 tsp, packed, grated lemon peel (I usually don't use this)
3/4 cup of semisweet chocolate chips-recipe calls for mini chips; I prefer the regular size
3/4 cup chilled buttermilk
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbs. sugar for topping- I use turbinado sugar( Sugar in the Raw)

Grease and flour a baking sheet. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add lemon peel, if using, and cold butter, cut up. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour until you have a fine crumbly texture. Mix in chocolate chips. In a small bowl, mix cold butter milk with egg yolk and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and gently mix until dough comes together in moist clumps. You can cover and refrigerate for a while, if desired. I often do, so that the dough won't be so sticky. If not refrigerating, gather dough into a ball and put on a floured surface. Pat dough into a 8 inch circle and cut into 8 pieces. With a pie server, transfer each piece to the prepared baking sheet, placing each piece 1 inch apart. At this point, you can either bake the scones or cover pan with plastic wrap, refrigerate, and bake tomorrow. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush each scone with milk. Sprinkle each one with the turbinado sugar, (or you may use granulated sugar). Bake for about 20 minutes, or until scones are crusty on top and a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm. They're wonderfully addictive! Do you like scones?

10 comments:

  1. These look wonderful. I think I will try making some for my husband. He LOVES chocolate chips in just about anything...waffles, pancakes, french toast, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to try making scones - these look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynda! I just found your blog. The husband is a scone freak. He is going to love these. Some nice recipes here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you can make them the night before. My family would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, but these scones are beautiful! The recipe looks like a good one. Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scones but haven't made them in way too long! These look delicious (how could they *not* be with choc chips?) and your photography is beautiful! When I first started blogging I would take tons of pictures of our dinner. My hubby never once asked me why I was taking pictures of our dinner. Men. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never made scones before, but I am going to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great, and your pictures look beautiful! I haven't made scones in a million years, can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda Thanks for visiting my blog come back often. I can't wait to make these scones they would of been great with our tea today. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures look lovely Lynda. Growing up in England there were two types of scone, plain, or ones that had sultanas or raisins in them, not that I'm knocking that, they were good, and usually served with lashings of butter. These look and sound totally scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!