Friday, January 23, 2009

Quesadillas


I love Mexican food, but I really didn't get to try it until I was in high school, as it wasn't something that my Mother cooked. I have made some at home and am trying to add to my Mexican recipe collection! I have fixed Quesadillas before, but I used chicken or steak, and this time I was looking for something quick and easy that could be used as an appetizer for get togethers, (like Superbowl parties). So, I turned to Epicurious for a recipe. These are really tasty and so easy to make. The only problem was that the salsa I used was not chunky enough and it squished out when I cut the quesadilla. And, I really like more cheese in them, so next time I must remember that. However, they tasted great! I had one for lunch!
Quesadillas ( from Epicurious)
1/4 lb pepper Jack cheese, shredded(1 3/4 c.) - I used plain Montery Jack
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 T. finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tea. ground cumin
8 (7-inch) flour tortillas
1/2 cup chunky salsa
Stir together cheese, beans, cilantro and cumin.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat until hot, but not smoking, then add a tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup of cheese mixture, spreading evenly, then top with 2 T. salsa. Cover with a tortilla. Cook until underside is golden, 1-2 min.,then carefully flip over for another 1-2 min. Repeat with other tortillas. Cut in wedges to serve. I actually find it easier to use 1 tortilla, spreading mixture on half , and then folding it in half and cooking. Then cut it in half to serve. Either way they are delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I love quesadillas. Bean and cheese are the best - especially black bean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those do look great. I love black beans!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!