Friday, January 9, 2009

Sweet Potato Oven Fries


Since the holidays, I have only wanted to fix quick and simple foods. I don't want heavy sauces or gravies, nor do I want to spend 2 hours cooking and cleaning up my mess! Of course, I feel like this every year after Christmas; kind of stuffed.This is the year for simple foods, back to basics, if you will. Besides, it will help keep my grocery bill down. Now I love Thanksgiving and Christmas as well as anyone and that goes for the food too. But by New Years I'm ready to leave the rich goodies behind. I know I'm not alone. How many of us make resolutions to either lose weight, or at least eat healthier? I do! Every Year! Now back to simple foods. I have always loved, even craved sweet potatoes. But growing up we only had them covered in brown sugar and marshmallows, or once in a great while baked(I still like them that way, too). Then came along "Sweet Potato Oven Fries", and I fell in love again! I've fixed them several ways and all have been good. I've brushed the wedges with melted butter and honey, put them in the oven and they get a little caramelized and oh so yummy. But lately I've like them a little spicy. And sweet potatoes are good for us, that's an added bonus!
Sweet Potato Oven Fries
You'll need to preheat your oven to 400 degrees. You will need 1 sweet potato per person , depending on the size of the potato,of course. Peel the potatoes and cut off the ends as they can be stringy. Cut each sweet potato lengthwise into 8-12 wedges and place on a shallow baking sheet, sprinkle with chili powder and drizzle with olive oil. Then mix it up with your hands to more evenly distribute the oil. If I think it needs more chili powder I add more and then sprinkle the spuds with kosher salt (or whatever salt you want). Pop them in the oven for about 30 minutes until brown. Actually, you need to turn them after about 15 min. so they'll brown evenly. When done they'll be slightly crisp around the edges, naturally sweet , spicy and delicious! I'm addicted! I hope you like them too. What is your favorite sweet potato dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!