Sunday, May 31, 2009

Quick Pasta Salad

I love making pasta salads in the warm weather months. It's quick to throw together, and you just add what ever ingredients you have on hand, or you can really dress it up for company. I love the versatility of this dish. For many years, I used a really zesty Italian dressing for the salad. Then, I found a Pesto dressing that we really enjoyed, but now I can't get it in my town at our stores! Does that happen to you- you find a product that you love, and then the store stops stocking it? Maybe it's just the fact that we live in a smaller town. Anyway, today's Pasta Salad was an experiment, and it turned out pretty good, thanks to a jar of purchased Pesto.
Quick Pasta Salad
8 ounces of Rotini pasta, or pasta of choice ( tricolor is great- I used whole wheat, this time)
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
1/2 of a red onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
grape tomatoes, cur in half (as many as you want!)
sliced black olives, optional (thought I had some- but didn't)
1 tbs. or more of grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbs. Pesto - purchased or homemade
3 tbs. red wine vinegar
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Into a large bowl, add the cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and any other veggies you're using . Mix pesto and vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, and pour over veggies and stir in pasta. Add in the Parmesan cheese, stir and cover bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. This is my "in a hurry" Pasta Salad. You can add whatever veggies that you prefer, or even pepperoni. This turned out very tasty, although, I think that a homemade pesto would be more flavorful. But, my basil plants are too small to use right now, but later in the summer, I hope to make my own pesto! What do like in your Pasta Salad?

18 comments:

  1. This looks so flavorful. Perfect for lazy summer days. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of using pesto in pasta salad. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I know just what you mean about not finding a favorite item on the store shelves! I really like how you created the pesto dressing to go with this! I also really like that you put cucumber in here; I bet it added great crunch! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda, I wouldn't change a thing. You made it just the way I like it. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the flavors and versatility of this pasta salad. I hate it when stores suddenly stop carrying an item. Costco does this from time to time. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda what a perfect salad my mouth can taste all the pesto. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't think i'd change a thing, either! well, i might add some sun-dried tomatoes, but only because i can't get enough of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why haven't I thought to add cucumber to my pasta salads. Yours looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is day 2 of the pasta salad and it still tastes great!The pesto gives it a kick of flavor and I always use cucumbers cuz I love the crunch!
    Grace, I love your idea of using sun-dried tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely need to make this, because I still have pesto in my freezer from last summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynda this looks so cool and refreshing for the summertime. I bet it goes great with anything you are grilling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I love pasta salad! This one looks very delicious! I think I will give this a try.

    ~Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love pasta salad...especially over the summer!!!! It's so pretty and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pasta salad is always a favorite, and so simple to put together. I hate when a favorite product suddenly disappears from the grocery store! It has happened to me many times unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love pasta salad, and yours looks incredible! Such a tasty sounding recipe! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. nope..this is the perfect pasta salad!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love pasta salads too. The great thing about them is you can throw in whatever veggies you have on hand.

    For salad dressing I usually drizzel on olive oil, red wine or balsamic vinegar, and top with some fresh chopped basil and black pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a bit mystified. My other comments have posted straightaway but on this one it says visible after owner approval. Oh hum!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!