Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mom's Breaded Pork Chops

I don't eat very many fried foods any more, but once in a great while I get to thinking about some dish that my Mother used to make and suddenly, I want to make it. She used to make the very best Fried Chicken and the best Breaded Pork Chops, and of course they were fried. I only make the Fried Chicken maybe yearly now. And the pork chops, about as often, but when I start craving them, I just have to get the skillet out and make them! Then, it's out of my system for another year! Mom always used crushed saltine crackers for the breading for the pork chops and they are always crisp and delicious. First, I make an assembly line, and in 1 bowl I mix an egg.
In another bowl, I add the crushed saltine crackers. You need a large skillet with plenty of room for the chops so they won't overlap and they can brown evenly. In the skillet, heat the oil until hot and add the chops. Brown well on one side, and then flip over to brown till done.

These are thin, bone-in loin chops, so they cooked quickly. If they start to brown too much, turn down the heat. The thin chops only took about 10 minutes, but you can use thicker chops, if desired. If the chops are really thick, 1 inch or more, brown them and then finish in the oven.
Drain on paper towels and arrange on a platter, if desired! Time to eat! Here's how to make these;


Mom's Breaded Pork Chops
4 bone-in pork chops
1 cup finely crushed saltine crackers
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 large egg, beaten
In a bowl large enough for chops, beat the egg. In another bowl, add the crushed saltines. To crush the crackers, I place them in a plastic bag and then use a rolling pin to crush them. Just roll it over the bag and crush until they are very fine crumbs. Next, heat oil in a very large skillet over medium high heat. Using a fork, pick up one chop and place in egg. Turn over making sure to coat well with the egg. Shake off the excess egg, and then lay pork chop in the crumbs, and then turning over to coat the other side. Press the crumbs into the chops if there are some places where they don't adhere. Lay the chops into the skillet in the hot oil. If they brown too fast, turn down the heat. It will take maybe 5 minutes before you will need to turn the chops over. It just depends on how fast they brown and how thick the chop. These chops were done in about 10 minutes. They were crisp on the outside and moist and tender on the inside; in other words, wonderful! OK, I've had my Breaded Pork chops, so I'm good for another year or so! Have you cut down on fried foods, or do you even like them?



14 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I don't eat much fried food, but I can't resist fried calamari!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of us have a secret weakness for good fried chicken and pork chops. If you put these in front of me, I would definitely clean my plate. Total YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pork chops are my favorite!! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great. I've never used Saltines for frying pork chops, but it sounds great. I haven't made any fried pork chops in over a year because I never had luck getting my breading to stick. I try not to make fried things very often, but if it were up to my husband I would. I will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't eat much in the way of fried foods any more, either, but these chops look so fanastic. I'm sure if you put them in front of me, I would happily eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look really tasty like the ones my Mom used to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I fry meats and poultry maybe several a year. It's mostly the oven and the grill. Though if I thought more deeply about this, we have bacon and eggs and pancakes and French toast quite a bit! So I think I'm kidding myself LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of my mom's cooking. I love using crushed saltines. Your chops look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, these look so delicious! Love the coating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so good! My mom used to make these with chicken cutlets and they were always great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you ever use that "shake 'n bake" stuff? i did, and this is vastly superior. your ma taught you well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mum's recipe looks and sounds scrummy.

    I think we all try and steer clear of fried food much of the time, but sometimes it just gets the better of us. :-) All things in moderation.

    In England it's much more common to grill food - that's not BBQ but broiler. In England grills/broilers are much more controllable heatwise than they are here, and are usually situated overhead of the range, making them much more user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynda, Thanks for your sweet words about my blog. Your recipes make my mouth water. I look forward to reading & enjoying more of your recipes. Carol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are bringing back so many memories of my moms pork chops with this recipe. I forgot about the saltine cracker breading! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!