Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pineapple Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (a.k.a. Mexican Fruit Cake)

After a couple of days of my computer not working very well, I'm finally able to post, I hope so anyway! I hope that you all are having a wonderful weekend and enjoying your favorite meals. I spent Saturday working in the garden, so today it was nice to have lunch at our church, where there was a nice Tex-Mex dinner being held! This was a fundraiser to send the kids to kids camp this summer. My contribution to the dinner was a Pineapple Sheet Cake, which is a recipe that I got from my Mother, and is a favorite anywhere I take it. It is also the easiest cake recipe I have! It's also a very moist, dense cake topped with my favorite Cream Cheese Frosting, which is so addictive and rich and even sinful! I don't know how long the recipe has been around, but it is a favorite of many that I know, so let's make it, OK? It can be made in a 9x13 cake pan , or a jelly roll pan, which is what I used for this one. It does equally well in either one.

Pineapple Sheet Cake ( a.k.a. Mexican Fruit Cake)
Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan or a 11x15 inch jelly roll pan. This cake is acidic because of the whole can of pineapple, so I normally make it in a glass 9x13. But it's your choice.
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. You will need;
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2tsp. baking soda
2 large eggs, beaten
1 large can crushed pineapple with juice (20 ounce)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts ( I use pecans)
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and soda. Add remaining ingredients and mix batter well. (Do not use electric mixer). The batter may bubble a bit because of the juice reacting with the soda. Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven. A 9x13 pan will take about35-40 minutes to bake . A 11x15 inch pan will take about25 minutes. The cake gets really brown while baking so don't be alarmed. My picture didn't turn out for that. Remove from oven. Frost cake while warm.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts
In a deep bowl, with electric mixer, beat all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Frost cake while warm. I usually don't add the nuts to the frosting, I sprinkle them on top of the frosting, but it's your choice. If possible, let cake cool before digging in! Oh, it's hard, especially if you lick that frosting off of your fingers! It's just so yummy and it gets really moist the longer you have it. After the first day, I usually keep it in the fridge. So give it a try, it's great for company too!See that creamy frosting? It's calling your name! What's your favorite cake to make?


25 comments:

  1. Lynda, this looks really scrumptious. I'm going to need a sheet cake for a church group this week. I'll give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That creamy frosting is something I think I would have a hard time resisting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds and looks so GOOD! I'm weak when it comes to cream cheese frosting. Sounds like the perfect frosting for this cake. YUMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. very moist indeed, and perfect for such an event. i'm of the opinion that topping anything with cream cheese frosting enhances it 100%, so that's a great touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda YUM!! This is a great picnic cake.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynda, just in time for Cinyo de Mayo. I love pineapple anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow love all that frosting. This sounds and looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cream cheese frosting is my favorite - in fact, I could just eat it plain :). This looks like a unique cake to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have me drooling! Cream cheese frosting just puts this so over the top Lynda! I could just lick all of the frosting off that cake and run and hide!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so delicious, especially the cream cheese frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH, this looks so good! I love cream cheese frosting. I really like making jello cakes, pumpkin cake and texas sheet cakes. I love carrot cake, but have never made it. Cream cheese icing is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this cake. My mother in law introduced it to me last year and I fell in love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is new to me - although luscious cream-cheese frosting isn't. This might be my 4th of July barbecue cake. (But I'll have to make it first... before I share it!) Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can vouch for this cake... I've been making it for the last 25 years and you're right... it's always a favorite! I call it "Chanda's Cake" because that's the name of the girl who gave me the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a bunch of canned pineapple left over from making ice cream and this cake would be perfect for it.....It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking on the web for a cake recipe...found yours and it's going to be made today! Thanks. All your recipes look great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much!!! My mom always made this when I was growing up, but then she lost the recipe in a move. We couldn't remember what it was called. Thank you so much, I wish my mom was still here to share it with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mom makes a very similar cake using 1 box cake mix (angel food) and 1 (16 oz) can of crushed pinapple. Mix both together and pour in a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. It is DELICIOUS! It is suppose to be a Weight Watcher's Recipe. Very low points.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This cake looks delicious but I wondering if she forgot to add oil. If anyone reads this please reply. I'm in the middle of making it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dkaye1777, there is no oil in this recipe. The pineapple with the juice, give this cake its moistness. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Lynda. I bake the cake per recipe and you are right! It was simple and delicious and the icing was unreal!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lynda,
    This recipe looks yummy. I plan on making it this weekend to take to my daughter's house.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made the cake and it was delicious. Everyone loved it-- full of flavor & moist. Of course the cream cheese frosting was out of this world. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love rich desserts but not if they are too sweet. Since I don't know a lot about cooking, I wonder if 3 cups of powdered sugar would make this dessert cloyingly sweet or is it a normal amount?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, cream cheese frosting is rather sweeet but to me it is not cloyingly sweet.But if you want try making it with less that's fine. I'd use 2- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and only use 6 tablespoons butter. Let me know how it turns out. :)

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!