Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sauteed Kale with Roasted Butternut Squash, and Mushrooms

 I've started cooking with Kale this month. I like it sauteed with onions and mushrooms, and this last time I added some oven-roasted butternut squash to it. Yum!
I started a diet the first of February, and have lost 12 pounds! Yippee! My diet is called The Plan, by Lyn Genet, and it really is a change in eating  and considered an anti-inflammation diet. I won't get into the particulars too much, but will say that this is NOT a low fat diet. I still get to have lots of olive oil and butter. And I can eat dark chocolate too. My blood work ,(cholesterol), was perfect last week when I went to the Dr. He was amazed. My blood pressure meds also had to be adjusted. I'm very happy to say the least!
But let me get back to the kale. I was introduced to sauteed kale on The Plan, and found I really liked it with mushrooms and onion.
 So the next time I roasted some butternut squash, I added half of it to the kale. Very yummy! My store has only one type of kale, this curly leafed stuff. It needs to be washed very well as it sometimes feels a little gritty. I also prefer to cut out the thick stems and toss them out. This bunch of kale produced about 5 cups of chopped kale.
 I sliced some mushrooms and onions and sauteed them in olive oil for a couple of minutes, then added the the chopped kale. Then I sauteed the kale for another minute or two. You could add garlic too if desired.
 It's really good just this way, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. The kale cooks down quite a bit, just like spinach does. I usually get 2 servings from a bunch of kale, but this bunch was a bit smaller.
 But adding in the oven-roasted butternut made this dish so delicious. You could use roasted sweet potatoes too, I'm sure. They certainly are easier to peel than butternut squash, but I'll definitely make this dish again with the butternut. I hope you'll give this a try!
Sauteed Kale, with Roasted Butternut Squash, and Mushrooms

butternut squash- peeled and cut into about 1 inch cubes-you will only need about 1/2 of the squash
1 bunch kale
1/2 of an onion, sliced thin
4 ounces sliced mushrooms-I've used Baby Bella and shiitakes
about 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced -optional
salt and pepper to taste

!. Cut the butternut squash in half and peel with a knife or a good vegetable peeler. Cut squash into about 1 inch cubes. Place on baking sheet, toss with some olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, or other seasonings of your choosing. Bake at 425 degrees F. for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Cool. You will use about 1/2 of the squash in the kale. I save the leftover squash for another meal.
2.Wash the kale; drain well and chop. Cut out the thick stems if desired. Slice mushrooms and onion. Mince garlic, if using.
3 In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onion. Stir, about 2 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and the chopped kale. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until the kale is softened to your liking. The kale will wilt, similar to spinach. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add in the butternut squash. Hope you enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. I'm changing my eating habits also Lynda. No meat here anymore. I love kale and have also been cooking with it lately. Thanks for posting this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow Debbie, You have given up meat! I haven't done that, but I am only having it once a day. I used to think I had to have it 2x, but not anymore.

      Delete
  2. I will have to bow out of making this recipe, Lynda. I don't like squash, pumkin or sweet potatoes unless they're mixed in cakes, cookies or breads. I love kale & other vegetables.
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I lost 23 pounds two years ago. I had worked as a floor nurse for 25 yrs but as soon as I took a research desk job the pounds came on. I walk on the treadmill & try to watch what I eat which helps keep off the weight.
    I'll show this recipe to my daughter. She loves squash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kale is certainly all the rage lately, but this is one of the few dishes using it that actually appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also am into kale - started a few years ago and am figuring out more and more how to use it. So - you guessed it - I will be doing this. My husband adores squash - so he will be happy. Congrats on the improved health quotient and eight loss. Gotta love those vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made Kale Chips but never cooked with it.This looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love kale, and butternut is like eating candy, it's so sweet! Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a greens loving gal but I don't give kale much attention. This looks like a dish I'd love. Congratulations on your weight loss & your health report. I think for many of us inflammation in the body is what causes so many problems!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious! I tasted something like this at a gourmet shop. I searched for it on the Internet and found your recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, I hope you'll give this a try. Let me know if you make some tasty changes!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe. Sounds delish. I love my fruits and veggies and could never give them up, however I am also a meat lover. Anyone considering giving up meat should watch this documentary first https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CE0QtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FThe-Perfect-Human-Diet%2Fdp%2FB00AX4QF70&ei=K0JMUrHaAcqYyAGi34C4AQ&usg=AFQjCNH0N3Br5GEPWSzurpbuk6qTIQ6C6w&sig2=UNz5qRGpW4GU7Ol39Z_AHQ&bvm=bv.53371865,d.aWc

    ReplyDelete
  11. 17 Day Diet is the best. ;) Healthy portions of meat, lots of veggies, 2 fruits a day before late afternoon, one glass green tea, 8 glasses water, no sugar and treating yourself to a rare treat after you reach your weight goal is OK once a week. It's a lifestyle diet. I love it. I'm excited to try this recipe as I've got a new thing for Kale since I gave up mindless grains. I only eat whole grains every other day (2 servings, small).

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!