Monday, March 4, 2013

Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

This is a moist, delicious Banana Layer Cake that is perfect for any occasion. It is somewhat less dense than my banana bread recipe, but it's very moist and yummy with the decadent Cream Cheese Frosting. I made this wonderful cake for my husbands birthday back in January. I didn't get many pictures of the finished cake, but that seems to happen every time I prepare a meal for our family gatherings. Too busy for photos, and then the food is gone. Sigh~
I've posted this recipe before, but made a sheet cake instead of a layer cake. It is one of our favorite cakes now and is a perfect way to use those ripe bananas and turn them into a fabulous dessert.
I feel the need to apologize for not being around for almost 2 months. I've had some health issues, ( I'll share at a later time), and some life issues that we all sometimes go through, and I lost focus on my blog. But I'm cooking again and ready to share. So I hope you'll give this Banana Layer Cake a try for your next celebration. It's so very, very good. Like, lick your plate good!
Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Evil Shananigans

Cake:
1 cup mashed bananas - about 2 large bananas
1 cup buttermilk, or can use soured milk (add 1 tablespoon vinegar to a cup and fill up with milk; let sit a minute)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened- 1/2 cup
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, (or if you are using dark pans, then 325). Grease 2 9 inch round layer cake pans.
2. In a bowl, mash the bananas well using a fork. Stir in the buttermilk.
3. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in separate bowl.
4. Cream Butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in the eggs and vanilla.
5. Alternately add the dry and wet ingredients into the butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour the batter evenly into the 2 prepared cake pans.
6. Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center. Or you may test with a toothpick. Cool cake in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto cooling racks and let cool completely. At this point, you can frost the cake, or wrap each layer well in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight. Then assemble and frost the next day.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter
31/2-4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese together with a mixer.
mix in the vanilla. Add the powdered sugar in about 3 additions, mixing well after each addition. If the frosting seems too stiff, you may add a tablespoon of cream or milk and mix until creamy.

To frost the cake: 
Place one cake layer on cake platter. Add about 3/4 to 1 cup of frosting on the cake and spread evenly to the edge. Top with the remaining cake layer and press cake gently down. Add remaining frosting to top and smooth down and around the sides. I usually swirl the top of the frosting with a knife. I like to refrigerate the cake for 30-60 minutes to set the frosting well.
Slice, serve and enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda! Glad to see that you're back! What a great recipe.....love banana cake. I can completely understand how life gets in the way of blogging....I'm at the point of posting when I really want to and what I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, so glad to have you back. :) I totally understand about life & health issues. I have a chronic illness which sometimes gets in the way of living my life.
    I am not a banana lover but my husband is. I made a cake like this recently but the recipe called for placing the cake straight from the oven into the freezer for a while. My husband says it was very moist & flavorful. The next time I make him a banana cake, I'll try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia, it is good to be back. I really appreciate your comments too.
      I've never heard of putting a cake from the oven to the freezer, but I bet it would be nice and moist!

      Delete
  3. Happy to see you blogging again, Lynda. This is hands down my favorite all time dessert. There is something about the combination of bananas and cream cheese frosting that is unbeatable. You are making me hungry for cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Cathy-it is good to be back. I agree, bananas and cream cheese frosting are meant to be together!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you back to blogging. I hope you are feeling better.

    I love everything about this cake! I may make this for my birthday cake this year. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are back. I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my but this looks good! I love banana cake and this sounds delicious. I hope you've had a good day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. why make banana bread when you can make banana cake instead? love this, lynda!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!