Friday, June 1, 2012

Quick Chicken Stew (A Pantry Stew)

Some days I just have to have soup. Like yesterday, when a cold front came through with winds and rain and the temperature was about 55 degrees. It was cold compared to the low 90's that had been earlier this week. So I decided to whip up a quick stew, or soup, with just ingredients I had on hand. I found 3 chicken thighs in the freezer, and added some vegetables. I would have liked some mushrooms and celery for this, but didn't want to go to the store. So this was our lunch yesterday, with a little left over for today. Tomorrow the temperature will start climbing back up, and stew won't sound good to us then. This Quick Chicken Stew was delicious and hit the spot. And it is satisfying to make something so tasty with just the ingredients you have on hand.
I didn't measure anything, but here's what I did.

Quick Chicken Stew
From Lynda's recipe Box

3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any visible fat
1/2 of an onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 can low-sodium chicken broth, or equivalent amount of water
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
some baby carrots, cut in half
about 3/4 cup of frozen peas
about 1/4 teaspoon dried Tarragon leaves, or dried Thyme
salt and pepper to taste
Sliced mushrooms and celery are good in this also.
Heat a 3 or 4 quart saucepan over medium heat with about 1 tablespoon oil. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in the oil, about 2 minutes per side just until browned. Remove chicken to a plate. Add the onion to pan and cook for about 1 minute, adding oil if needed. Then add the minced garlic. Stir in the chicken broth or water, and add the cooked chicken thighs with any accumulated juices from the plate. Stir in the carrots and potatoes. Add water to the pan to completely cover the stew. Bring to a boil, cover pan and reduce heat. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20-30 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate. Add the peas and Tarragon (or Thyme), to the stew and cook about 5 minutes more. Cut the thighs into bite size pieces and add back to the saucepan. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve and enjoy!

NOTE: Sometimes I thicken the broth when I make stews like this, by making a slurry with cornstarch and water. Then just add a little at a time to the stew, stirring. Just add enough to give the broth a slight thickness.

5 comments:

  1. I do enjoy a good chicken stew too. Yes, more pepper..love it.
    Have a great weekend, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a cool front come through last week and I, too was looking for something warming. Saving this - it's Minnesota (you never know when the next cool front will blow by) and new takes on stews with chicken are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cold front?? I how I wish we would have one of those here :(
    Love the soup

    ReplyDelete
  4. dishes like this just do a body good. yep, i had to bring my space heater back out. stinkin' cold front. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!