Monday, June 11, 2012

Mediterranean Style Pasta Salad


Well summer is here and I've begun making salads every other day or so.  Seems like they taste so good when the weather gets hot. I made a really good pasta salad last week, then had some computer issues and couldn't post it. But here it is, just in time for Fathers Day. If you are a fan of pasta salad with lots of veggies and a tangy dressing then I'm sure you'll love this. I have fresh herbs in the garden so they flavored this Mediterranean Pasta Salad very nicely. Here's my recipe.

Mediterranean Style Pasta Salad
From Lynda's Recipe Box

12 ounces pasta-I used Rotini
1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 or so of a cucumber, peeled and sliced thin, seeded if desired
1/2 half of a red onion, cut in half and sliced thin
1/2 of a green or red bell pepper, diced
1/4-1/2 cup coarsely chopped olives, optional- I used some Kalamata olives
 which my husband did not like, sigh.....
about 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled Feta cheese
Dressing ingredients:
2 tablespoons fresh Basil, rolled up and thinly sliced
1-2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cloves garlic, pressed
Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid; shake until well combined

1. Cook pasta according to package directions for al Dente. Drain and rinse thoroughly in with cold water. Drain well.
2. While pasta cooks, make the dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients and set aside.
2. Slice and dice all the vegetables and add to a large bowl. When pasta is drained add to the bowl with the veggies. Pour the dressing over all and stir carefully to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving garnish with some whole Basil leaves and a sprinkle of cheese, if desired. Enjoy! Leftovers taste great too!
NOTE: I like a tangy dressing, so I taste the dressing before I add it to the pasta ingredients, and sometimes I'll add 1 or 2 more tablespoons of vinegar.
If you need some salad ideas for this coming Father's Day dinner, here's a link!


8 comments:

  1. Guess what I am making for dinner tonight...THIS SALAD! Beautiful and delicious recipe Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all - especially the kalamata olives. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! It is a delight to the eyes as well as the stomach. I will have to try this salad. It sounds delicious. I hope all is well. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Lynda, this is one kepper of a pasta salad. Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can almost always count on a pasta salad to add some color to the meal, especially one with mediterranean ingredients. nice one, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this combination of veggies and to add pasta to them is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these salads this time of year. They just compliment any dish. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious and has all of the right stuff on it for me.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!