Monday, June 18, 2012

Apple Bacon Coleslaw

 What a great combination for coleslaw; cabbage, bacon, apples, bacon- oh I already said bacon didn't I.  Well this coleslaw is very flavorful and rather different than any I've ever eaten before, but my husband and I both loved it. The dressing has a tang from lemon juice, cider vinegar and mustard, but that is tempered by just a bit of sugar and mayo. Then when you mix in the apples and bacon and sweet onion, this slaw really pops with fantastic flavor. I couldn't stay out of it! I found a couple of recipes that were similar, and ended up using elements of each to make this recipe. I had a small, 1 pound head of cabbage at home and wanted to try another version of coleslaw other than my husbands all time favorite. You could also use a purchased 16 ounce bag of shredded cabbage if desired.
 I sliced the cabbage by hand as my food processor grates much finer than I wanted for this recipe. To begin cutting the cabbage, cut the head in half with a large, sharp knife through the core. Then slice each cabbage half in half again through the core also. Then you will be able to stand each quarter of cabbage up and slice the core right off. Now you can lay each section of cabbage on its side and slice thinly though it until you are done. I coarsely chopped the cabbage then. It really doesn't take long to slice one pound of cabbage. Two pounds is another story. If you are looking for a slaw that is delicious, yet different from the ordinary, this may be the one for you to try. The sweetness of the apples contrasted wonderfully with the saltiness of the bacon and both made this slaw very tasty. I will definitely be making it again.

Apple Bacon Coleslaw
Inspired by Natasha, Tyler and Mr. Food

Ingredients:
1 pound head of cabbage, or a 1 pound bag of purchased, pre-shredded  cabbage
1/2 of a sweet onion, diced-I used a Vidalia onion
2 apples, unpeeled, diced- I used Gala
about 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4-6 slices of bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled

Instructions:
In a large bowl, mix together the mayo, mustard, sugar, lemon, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar and salt together. Taste, and if the dressing needs more tang, add the other tablespoon of vinegar. Add the shredded cabbage, apples, onion, and the chives and toss well with the dressing. Top with the crumbled bacon before serving. This slaw can be served immediately, or coverer and chilled until ready to serve. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy ...must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy, adding bacon to coleslaw is genius! What a wonderful salad~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda, my family is going to love your version of cole slaw! The bacon addition sounds wonderful and the apples give it some healthy sweetness to balance. Super recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coleslaw and this version with bacon sounds amazing,Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love coleslaw..this is so crunchy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is better with bacon! This coleslaw looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have cabbage and apples that need to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fabulous idea. I'm a take it or leave it when it comes to slaw, but this is a definite TAKE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect slaw to serve with barbecue. The bacon is different, but I've never turned away from a dish made with it :-) This sounds delicious. Have a wonderful evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. This should please all the guys at a cookout. They won't might eating their veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. slaw is not something i usually get excited about, but simply by adding bacon, you've changed all that. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!