Thursday, September 9, 2010

Peach Galette

I love fruit pies, but I don't like making them. Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally make a pie, but they can be rather time consuming, and I'm an impatient cook. But I love buttery, flaky crust and fresh, in season fruit together. This past week I purchased some humongous, juicy, Missouri peaches at the farmer's market, and knew I'd have to make a pie. They aren't the first peaches we've had, but the others have ended up sliced over ice cream, or just eaten out of hand. I wanted pie this time, but maybe a galette instead. A galette is less intensive to make since you only need the bottom crust. It is also known as a crostata, or a rustic fruit tart. There's even the option of using refrigerated pie crust from the store. But I wanted to make my own crust for these amazing, juicy peaches. And the peaches were so juicy that the crust on my galette leaked, a lot. Even then, there was still plenty of juice left in the pie. Actually, I've made two of these this week; one was peach and blueberry. Both were fantastic and my husband is practically begging for another. Hmmm, I think apple will be next!
Roll out the crust to about 13 inches in diameter. Top with sliced peaches that have been sweetened. Keep them in the center with about 3 inches of an edge all the way around.

Fold over the edges and just kind of pleat the crust and pinch the pleats together. Sprinkle with a little sugar if desired. Bake until the crust is golden. Let it cool! There is so much juice that you'll lose a lot if you cut it too soon. Here's the recipe.

PEACH GALETTE
from Lynda's Recipe Box
CRUST:
1 1/4 cup flour
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted, cold butter, cut into smaller cubes
1/4 teaspoon salt
4-6 tablespoons ice cold water
In a bowl mix the flour and salt together. Add the cold butter and cut into the flour with a pastry blender. If the butter gets warm, chill the flour mixture before adding the water. Add 4 tablespoons of ice water and quickly work into the crust to bring it together into a ball. Add more water if needed. Don't overwork the crust. Place crust on plastic wrap and flatten it into a round disk.Wrap tightly and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour. When ready to form the crust, take it out and let it set on the counter for about 20 minutes. Flour a work area and roll crust into a 13 inch circle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the crust to top the parchment paper.
PEACH FILLING:
2/12 - 3 cups of fresh peaches, peeled and sliced- or other fruit or berries
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Mix the cornstarch, cinnamon and sugar together in a bowl. In another bowl slice the peeled
peaches into large slices. Sprinkle the peaches with the sugar mixture and mix together. Spoon the peaches onto the center of the rolled out crust. Fold the crust over the fruit and pleat it together. You can sprinkle sugar on the crust, if desired. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40 - 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Remove from oven and cool. Enjoy with ice cream or whipped cream!
NOTE: Be sure to measure your crust; if it is smaller than 12 inches, you'll need to use less fruit.

18 comments:

  1. I don't make pies or tarts often...kind of lazy...your galette looks yummy! Could you throw me a piece out of your computer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rustic appearance of galettes. Your peach version is beautiful and can't help but be delicious with all that gorgeous fruit. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delicious rustic galette, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love galettes! If I were to make a blueberry one, the rest of the recipe would remain the same?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious Lynda! I don't make fruit pies often enought either but now with apple season coming up I am going to start again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rustic look of this great dessert is wonderful! I can imagine how delicious it is! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH BOY do I want this!! YUM YUM YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore rustic pies like this one! With a little ice cream on top? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never made one that didn't leak! This looks great Lynda and fresh peaches too, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alexis just tried making one of these yesterday but we had a dough disaster, it fell apart while cooking in the grill. Made a mess of the pizza stone, ha ha. We'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love galettes and have been dreaming about them all weekend. (She says as she stares lovingly at post wondering why she didn't make one)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sasha, The only thing I changed was to use nutmeg in the blueberry galette. That and it baked for a shorter time.

    Debbie, yes apple pie is awsome!

    Chris, oh no, not the stone! Mine leaked alot on my baking sheet, but was easier to clean than yours, I'm sure.

    Claudia, you still have a few hours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've see so many galettes lately. I don't know why I haven't made one. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love galettes. They are so easy and tasty. I have never made a pie (besides a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving). Great recipe with the peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm with ya on the pie-love/pie-making-hate, lynda. galette are just as good and with half the work. they look so fabulous, too--well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a wonderful way to make a pie! I used to live just south of the bootheel of Missouri, how I do miss those peaches :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your galette looks so good. Here in SE MO, we are not getting fresh peaches anymore. Think I will try it with apples.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!