Monday, September 6, 2010

Fried Summer Squash ( My Weakness)

I hope that everyone has had a wonderful Labor Day Weekend! Ours has been rather lazy, but sometimes it's nice to have a slow day. My husband is now well, as is our granddaughter, so life is back to normal.
Recently I gave in to a life long craving-pan-fried squash. You see, as I was growing up, my mother grew yellow summer squash in her garden and the only way she prepared it was to bread it with egg and cracker crumbs and fry it in butter. It was a family favorite. It was many years later before I had squash prepared any other way. As I've gotten older, I rarely ever fry squash anymore, maybe once or twice each summer. I still love it, I just try to not eat very much fried food because of the artery clogging capabilities that we all hear about. But I have to indulge once in a while, and last week it was time! I've also fried zucchini this way with delicious results. This isn't really a recipe, but a method for you to follow. I'm sure many of you have eaten it prepared this way.

FRIED SUMMER SQUASH
from Lynda's Recipe Box

Squash, yellow or zucchini- I used 2
Finely crushed saltine crackers-I start with a cup
salt and pepper added to the crumbs
1 egg, well beaten
oil and butter for frying-amount depends on the size of skillet used

Use small squash as larger ones may be tough and have large seeds. Wash squash and dry with paper towels. Slice each squash into uniform slices. I like it about 1/2 inch thick.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and 1 or 2 tablespoons butter. The grease needs to be about 1/4 inch thick if the squash is 1/2 inch thick.
Dip each slice of squash in egg; shake off the extra and then dip into the cracker crumbs. Place squash into the hot oil. Repeat with each slice, but don't crowd the pan. If crowded, the breading will stick to other squash and pull of when you turn it. When golden, turn it over and fry until the other side is browned. Remove squash from skillet and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Serve and enjoy!
Delicious- I thoroughly enjoyed every calorie and fat gram!

11 comments:

  1. Wow this looks delicious Lynda. We don 't get squash and zuchini is as dear as uranium, can i try the batter with aubergine?

    I posted some Indian recipies on the Scarf sister 's blog, have links on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...I don't believe I've ever had fried summer squash. It looks wonderful and looks like a perfect way to use up a couple of those that I have on my kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does not look like a weakness to me, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always loved fried squash, but haven't had it in years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make fried squash...haven't done it in years. You're making me long for some! What a super drool-worthy photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, you've found one of my weaknesses. We love it and my kids like it with ranch dressing. Sinful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh--i've never used saltines for the breading--EXCELLENT idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to add some cayenne to mine but this is my favorite way to eat squash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every now and then I need some good fried food too. I'm sure these would satisfy that craving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too! I love squash and zucchini this way. Glad to hear everyone is well again.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!