Thursday, July 1, 2010

Gone to Heaven Chocolate Pie

This pie is rich, really rich, and so creamy and decadent, that it is not for the faint of heart. It's not for those who don't like intense chocolate. It's not a pie to serve after a heavy or rich meal. But, it is for those among us who crave a bit of rich, creamy chocolate at times. It's luscious with a cup of coffee or a glass of iced tea. I made this chocolate pie last week for a church pot luck and it was gone in a flash. So quickly was it gone that we had nary a sliver. So I made it again this week so we could try it. If you're needing a serious chocolate fix, give this pie a try!

GONE TO HEAVEN CHOCOLATE PIE
slightly adapted from Hershey's Kitchens

1 9 inch pie shell

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch- original recipe calls for 1/3 cup

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 egg yolks

3 cups whole milk, divided

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened - recipe calls for 2 T.

1 tablespoon vanilla- yep, you read that right!

2 cups (12 ounce pkg.) Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips

whipped cream
DIRECTIONS:
1. Bake the pie shell; either your own recipe or the refrigerated pie crust from your grocer. Cool.
In a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan, mix 2 3/4 cups of the milk with the sugar.
2. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup of milk with the cornstarch. Whisk in the egg yolks until thoroughly combined.
3. Heat the sugar and milk mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the milk is scalded, but not boiling. To temper the egg yolk mixture, take about 1/4 cup of hot milk and quickly whisk into the yolks. Then add some more hot milk, a little at a time, whisking quickly with each addition., until the yolks are very warm. Now, slowly pour the yolks mixture into the milk, and again keep whisking so that the egg doesn't get clumpy. Bring the pudding to a boil, stirring constantly. Let cook about 2 minutes.
4. Remove pudding from heat and stir in the butter, the vanilla and 1 3/4 cup chocolate chips until incorporated. Pour the pudding into the cooled pie shell. Place plastic wrap over the pudding to seal. This will ensure that the pudding does not form a skin. Cool. Refrigerate for several hours, or until cold and firm. Remove the plastic wrap and top with whipped cream and remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. I used some mini chocolate chips for topping instead. Enjoy!
Keep refrigerated. Supposed to serve 8, but it's so rich that I cut into 10 servings.

NOTE: By tempering the yolks this way, the pudding was smooth and creamy with no lumps.









23 comments:

  1. Oh my, this chocolate, although decadent, seems like the perfect dessert for my dark chocolate loving soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything chocolate! This recipe looks delicious. I like the fact that it has a lot of vanilla in it. I am going to make this pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a perfect name for the recipe! Chocolate is the way to go and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing more decadent that a rich, luscious chocolate pie. This is a perfect dessert when we have just a salad for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is simply beautiful and I cannot imagine how good it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!!!! Love all your great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one delectable looking pie. It is a must try for me.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's seriously rich and heavenly chocolate treat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this does look super rich!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is no chocolate too intense for me! As I read all - the only I think I could think of was "perfect." Truly a delicious, inviting cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey--i'm all for going to heaven without having to die first. :)
    lovely pie, lynda! happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really delicious. It looks gorgeous as well. Is there such a thing as too rich :-). Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous looking pie, Lynda! So dark and decadent. If I'm looking for a chocolate fix, I sure don't have to go farther than this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. While I'm not a chocolate lover I will keep this in mind for special occasions when I have a few over the house.

    Happy 4th!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  15. This pie is a chocolate lovers dream. You are absolutely right this is not for the faint of heart. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this pie looks sooo good right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Wow! That chocolate pie looks so good, very tempting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm just stopping back to wish you a happy 4th. Have a great day....Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Lynda - it really does look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This really looks like heaven to me!!! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lynda, if I were a true chocolate lover I would be sorely tempted. Your description of this pie would entice me to a nice sliver. I'm sure it is big YUMS up for chocolate lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My heart fluttered upon sight of this pie. This certainly does not sound suitable for the faint of heart. Good job, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!