Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vegetable Pizza- a Recipe from the 80's

I took this old recipe to a bridal shower over a week ago and forgot to post it. I almost forgot to even take pictures of it, so this is what was left over from the shower. This Vegetable Pizza is not a traditional pizza, but an appetizer made with refrigerated crescent rolls which are baked into a crust and spread with a cream cheese and ranch mixture, and then topped with chopped veggies and shredded cheese. I received this recipe from a friend back in the 80's. I thought that the ladies at the shower would have eaten this before, but no one had ever heard of it. So maybe this will be new to some of you. Several asked for the recipe. Here's how you make it.
You need 2 packages of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. Unroll them and press into a pan, making sure to press perforations together to seal. Bake until golden. Cool and spread with the the cream cheese mixture. Top with veggies and cheese. I forgot the cheese in this picture and had to add it later. This yummy appetizer is great for any occasion. I was glad I made this as everyone loved it. Just don't serve it in a terrible looking pan like this! Cut into squares and serve it on a pretty platter or tray. If you enjoy ranch dressing and veggies, you should love this Vegetable Pizza. Enjoy!

VEGETABLE PIZZA- A RECIPE FROM THE 80's
Ingredients for crust and filling:
2 cans of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
2- 8 ounce packages of cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup mayo or salad dressing
1/2 cup sour cream
1 package dry ranch dressing
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I use a little more cheese than this)
Directions;
Open cans of crescent rolls and spread out on a 11x17 inch baking sheet. Push the dough to the edge of the pan, and make sure to seal all the perforations. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. Cool completely.
In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese, sour cream, mayo and dry ranch dressing. Add some Cheddar cheese, about 1/4cup or more, is good. Mix well and spread over the cooled crust.
Topping:
Chop and mix together-
3/4 cup chopped fresh broccoli
3/4 cup chopped fresh cauliflower
3/4 cup small diced carrots, or shredded carrots
3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
3/4 cup seeded, diced tomatoes
3 or 4 sliced green onions
Chop the vegetables and mix together. Sprinkle evenly over the filling and press the vegetables down slightly into the filling . Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Cover and keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Cut into squares and serve on a nice tray.



12 comments:

  1. WOW! look at the colors in this pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious, Lynda. I have a few recipes from the '80s that everybody loves. What can beat cream cheese flavored with ranch dressing as a base for veggie pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful in its simplicity, Lynda. I'm sure it is delicious to eat and it certainly is a wonderful dish for a hot summer night. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it looks delicious! I haven't made this in ages and must do it again after seeing this! It's perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this recipe - I always loved when someone brought it to a get-together. So fun to be reminded of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun way to eat your veggies! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i didn't know this recipe went all the way back to the 80s--how interesting! my mom often makes this for potlucks and showers and the like--it's a definite winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, it is an old recipe-it could even be olderthan the 80's, I really don't know for sure. At least that's when it was given to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, this is a new one for me, looks and sounds scrummy.

    BTW, I got the Mahi Mahi at Sams Club - frozen of course, but still very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recipe. Sounds easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful I love old school recipes! The reception looked lovely by the way, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cream cheese and ranch spread sounds like a great addition to a veggie pizza.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!