Thursday, July 23, 2009

Blueberry Crumb Bars

I'm sorry that I didn't get this delicious recipe posted yesterday. I tried, really I did, but every time I uploaded pictures they came out streaked and shaded. Same thing happened this morning, so I don't know what's going on! They seem to be fine now though.
I usually don't post back-to-back dessert type dishes, but these bars are so good that I just had to let you know! And besides, I call them breakfast bars, after all, they have oatmeal and blueberries in them! And I did eat them for breakfast, but my husband likes them with ice cream piled on top, (of course). This recipe came from Epicurious and was featured in the July 2009 issue of Bon Appetit. The crust is wonderful and holds up well so that you can eat this as a bar with you fingers. I changed the filling a bit. The recipe calls for the addition of 1 cup of blueberry preserves, but I had a lot of blueberries in the fridge, so I added an extra cup of blueberries and omitted the preserves. I also increased the flour so that the blueberries would thicken up. These Blueberry Crumb Bars turned out perfect! A crisp bottom crust, a perfect blueberry center and crumb topping on top with almonds! I'll be making these again and again!
BLUEBERRY CRUMB BARS (adapted slightly from Epicurious)
Crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup(2 sticks) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Filling:
4 cups fresh or frozen, (do not thaw) blueberries
3 Tbs. flour
2/3 cup sugar (next time I may drop that to 1/2 cup)
1 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
Preparation
For Crust:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter bottom of a 9x13 in. pan. I used a glass baking dish. In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon together. Add butter and use a pastry blender or fingers to mix butter into flour mixture until it sticks together in small clumps.
Transfer 2 cups of flour mixture to another bowl; mix in the almonds, and reserve for topping.
Press remaining crumb mixture evenly onto the bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust until golden and firm to touch, about 20 minutes.. Cool 10 minutes.
For filling:
Mix blueberries, 3 T. flour, sugar and lemon peel together in a bowl. Spread evenly over the baked crust. Now, sprinkle with the reserved topping.
Bake bars, at 375, until filling bubbles at edges and topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool in pan on rack. Try to restrain yourself from cutting and eating them before they are cool!
They are best on the day they are made, of course. The crust can be stirred together up to 2 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator, covered.
This is the second day for ours and they are still nice and firm, but I will store them in the fridge tonight, if there's any left! Hehe! Really, these are good, try them!

16 comments:

  1. These turned out really well. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness those look scrumptious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so yummy. My freezer is loaded up with blueberries and I have blueberry jame in the pantry, so I'm good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fabulous! Even better with the ice cream I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i simply love this sort of dessert
    isnt it a paradox that the kind of food i would like to eat is simply not available where i now live? these berries are not widespread in greece, let alone crete

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look gorgeous. Perfect crust filling and topping. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looooove it. i can’t eat enough blueberries these days, and shrouding them with buttery crumbs and ice cream is my favorite method of intake. this is drool central for me, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!i just need a scoop of ice cream and I'm gonna be on my way

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love bars like this - they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just look at that wonderful thick berry filling. My word, I want a nice square of that right over here right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to use summer blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is perfect - the berries, the crust, a lovely summertime dessert. I wish I could make it materialize right in front of me - now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blueberry bars are one of my favorites desserts/snacks.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!