Friday, July 31, 2009

BLT and Avocado Salad with Homemade Buttermilk Dressing

I almost always have buttermilk on hand as I love to use it in pancakes, waffles, biscuits and baked goods. So, when I decided to make a BLT Salad and discovered that I was out of Ranch dressing, I decided it was time to try my hand at homemade Buttermilk dressing. I have to say that it is really good! The cool, creamy and tangy dressing was a perfect topping to complement this wonderful salad! I used Romaine lettuce and some homegrown cherry tomatoes along with some thick, smokey bacon and buttery avocado. This BLT Salad was quite a treat!
BLT and AVOCADO SALAD with HOMEMADE BUTTERMILK DRESSING
Dressing ingredients:
1/2 cup buttermilk (be sure to shake it first)
1/4 cup sour cream, reg. or low fat
1/4 cup real mayonnaise, reg. or low fat
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper, or to taste
1/4 tsp. salt, I used Kosher
2 tsp. sugar, optional
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. cider vinegar
2 T. finely chopped fresh chives
Add all ingredients into a small bowl and stir well with a whisk. Make a couple of hours before serving to the flavors can come together well. Makes 1 cup.
Salad ingredients for 2 main dish sized salads: 6-8 cups torn romaine lettuce, divided among 2 plates
4-6 strips of crisp bacon, crumbled
cherry tomatoes, halved, or other diced tomato
avocado- I used 1/2 of an avocado for each salad
diced red onion
Arrange romaine lettuce on plates. Top with the bacon, tomatoes, onion and sliced avocado. Serve with the Homemade Buttermilk Dressing. Enjoy!
This was a wonderful salad! I love romaine because of it's sweet, crunchy taste, which was perfect with the sweet cherry tomatoes and the salty bacon. The avocado is perfect with this salad! The amount of chives in the dressing was about right. I think I may try a small amount of dill next time too. And maybe some parsley. My first attempt at making dressing turned out very well! Do you make homemade salad dressings?

14 comments:

  1. This salad sounds perfect!!!

    Never tried to make homemade dressing, but I should. It has to beat that stuff that's been lined up in alpha order on the bottom of my refrigerator door for months now LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful pic! This salad looks so colorful and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can directly tell from the picture, that the salad is wonderful :)

    Btw, I'm not really familiar of using buttermilk. Must try someday to make salad with buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my idea of the perfect salad - it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful salad. I'll bet it tastes as amazing as it looks! The dressing sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first visit to your blog....HOLY SMOKES LYNDA.....am I gonna be busy busy busy reading and cooking...SO many good recipes here.
    The salad looks SO good...I love salads like this....

    ReplyDelete
  7. And, it looks delicious! I always have buttermilk too - never cared for the "substitute" milk/vinegar thing. Just not the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The salad looks wonderful. I am keeping this buttermilk salad dressing recipe. I've always wanted to try and make my own. I love avocado and it must taste great with that dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. is it just me, or is the avocado one of god's most beautiful creations? i just love looking at it. and eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your BLT salad is mouthwatering. I've never had buttermilk dressing but it sounds perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would give anything for a helping of this salad right about now! I absolutely love avocado, although I don't know that I've ever tried it in salad?!? Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Selby, the buttermilk makes this a kind of Ranch style dressing, which is popular here.

    Carol, thanks for the kind words and for visiting my blog!

    Debbie, I hope this recipe works for you; I just played around with the seasonings untill it tasted like I wanted it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks PERFECT for this weather - I will have to fix one of those up for my lunch! Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!