Monday, December 28, 2009

A Fantastic Cheese Ball for Family Recipes: Memories of Family, Food and Fun!

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas weekend! We still have snow on the ground, though not as much as some of our neighbors to the west, such as Oklahoma. It is cold though, but that's winter for you. I am well now, after being sick with, of all things, food poisoning. At least I'm reasonably sure that's what it was. One day last week as I spent a long afternoon shopping, I decided to go through the drive though of a fast-food chain and grab a quick burger, instead of going home to fix a bite. That way I could go on to the grocery store after I ate. Bad idea! I rarely eat at fast food chains, and now it will be even less often. I'll spare you the details! Instead, I'd love to tell you about this marvelous, delicious cheese ball that I've made for years!

This awesome cheese ball comes from my Mother-in-law, Grace, and I think she got it from a friend of hers. She gave me the recipe years ago and it has been a family favorite since then. It is always devoured when taken to gatherings. My husband loves this savory cheese ball as much as I do. Children may not appreciate the green onion and bell pepper mixed into the cheese, but adults love it! If desired, the mixed cheese can be separated into 2 equal parts and rolled into logs, instead of the ball. I am submitting this recipe to "Family Recipes: Memories of Family, Food and Fun", this month, which is hosted by me! Yes, I am this months host for this fun event! I am now co-hosting with Laura, of "The Spiced Life", and Shelby of "The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch", for this wonderful blog event. If you have a favorite family dish you'd like to include this month, you will find the rules here. It must be a new post of an older family recipe. Send me the link to your post and a picture, if possible, to www.whatscookin52@sbcglobal.net.
I need to receive this information by December 30th. Now, on to the recipe!

My Mother-in-Laws's Cheese Ball

8 ounces cream cheese, brought to room temperature
8 ounces medium cheddar cheese, shredded

2 tablespoons finely chopped green or red bell pepper

2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion

2 tablespoons chopped, well drained pimento (I did not use)

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (recipe says up to 1/2 tsp.)

about 1/2 cup chopped pecans for coating the cheese ball

Mix cheeses together until well combined. By hand this will be work. Use a food processor, if desired. I don't have one, yet. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the nuts. Cover the bowl and chill this mixture for 30 minutes or so, until the cheese is firmer and easier to roll into a ball.

When ready, roll the cheese mixture into a ball and then roll into the chopped nuts to evenly coat. I added some chopped, fresh parsley to the nuts for some added color. Wrap cheese ball in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge. Can be made several days ahead of serving. The cheese ball should set at room temperature for about 30minutes before serving. Serve with crackers of choice. I hope you'll try this savory and delicious cheese ball. The cayenne pepper gives it a subtle kick that pares well with the bell pepper and onion. This would be a great addition you your New Years celebrations. Enjoy!




13 comments:

  1. So sorry you are home sick. I don't do fast food much either because anything cooked that "FAST" scares me! I love this cheese ball recipe. I make one very similar, the only real difference is that I add garlic powder and scallions.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fabulous.Will give it a whirl. So glad you are on the mend. Fast food is a scary proposition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a similar recipe that I love but this one looks even more delicious! Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're better soon- and Man this looks good! I love a good meatball recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good golly, Linda, I'm glad to hear you are recovering from your bad fast-food experience. YIKES! That's nothing to mess with.

    Yummm...cheese ball. Don't you just love digging into one and slathering all that goodness on a cracker. A cheese log is a good idea! Makes the gouges I leave behind less obvious!

    Hey, I made the PW creamy herb potatoes for Christmas dinner. OH MY STARS!!! Are they super good or what!! I'm not going to post as your pictures are so much better than mine, but just wanted to say thank you for finding and posting that KEEPER recipe. I'm sure we'll be having it again come Easter (need to space out all those calories!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister and I Have always wanted to make cheeseball...Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. spicy--i like it! i'm the goober who carves the outside layer off of a cheeseball and hoards it all for herself. what can i tell ya, i prefer it to the actual cheese portion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great for a New Years Eve snack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds wonderful! My husband and I always stay in and just have "appetizers" on New Years Eve, so this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome cheese ball recipe. Perfect for entertaining. This would be a great accompaniment to the New Year's Eve appetizer list.

    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Cheese Balls/logs and love collecting different recipes for them! Thanks for hosting this month Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this brings back so many memories - savoury cheese balls were a common appetiser in nz. sadly, they are almost an unknown quantity in crete.

    happy new year too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing recipe, I think I will try it today!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!