Monday, December 7, 2009

Hamburger Stew

Do you have a dish in your family that you've made so often that you could do it blindfolded? I could this one. My Grandmother used to make this Hamburger Stew and likewise my Mother, and I've made it for years too. My husband loves to take this delicious stew to work with him as it's quite filling. It's a perfect soup for using up whatever leftover vegetables you may have in the refrigerator or odds and ends of fresh vegetables hiding in the crisper. Use as many vegetables as you want. I have no written recipe for this; we just throw in whatever is on hand. So, this is a recipe of how I made it this time. I made this huge batch today and enjoyed it immensely on this windy, cold day. We're expecting snow flurries tonight or tomorrow, so this soup will be warm and comforting. Served with homemade rolls or cornbread, it is the perfect comfort meal! Let me tell you how I made it.
HAMBURGER STEW- from Lynda's Recipe Box


Ingredients vary according to what you want to use, or what is on hand.

2 pounds lean ground beef

1 small onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)

2 stalks celery, diced - I include the leaves

2 cans of diced tomatoes (15 ounces), or whole tomatoes, broken up

2 cans of beef broth (low sodium)

1/2 pound carrots, or more, peeled and diced

1 1/2 cups green beans, fresh, frozen or canned

about 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (or fresh or canned)

about1 1/2 cups frozen peas

1 small, diced zucchini, if desired

about 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage

5 or 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced

salt (I used 2 tsp., but I cook low salt so you may need more than this)

pepper, about 1/4 tsp.

water; add enough to cover ingredients in final cooking


In a soup pot over medium high heat, brown the ground beef until done. Drain off any grease. Add onion and cook until slightly softened. Add the celery, tomatoes, carrots and beef broth. Season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. If more liquid is needed to cover everything, add a little water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; the corn, peas, zucchini, if using, cabbage and potatoes. Add enough water to the pot to just cover the vegetables. Cover and cook another 40 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. I think the longer you cook it, the better the taste. The cabbage adds a lot of depth of flavor too, and this stew gets better every day! I sometimes add okra too, but I don't always have it. My mother would also add a few turnips to the pot, but my husband doesn't like them, so no turnips for us! Thyme is a great herb flavor for this soup, and sometimes oregano is my fave. It just depends what ingredients I use.

I've had people tell me their families also made this type of dish. Some have called it "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Soup". Do you or someone you know make stew similar to this? If so, what is it called? I'd love to know.



21 comments:

  1. This does look like quite a hearty and flavorful soup. What a great family recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious Lynda and a great way to stay warm! My mom used to make something similar but she called it Shipwreck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bookmarked it! I love soup and I'll be making this one..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful and so perfect for this time of year. It just looks so hearty....love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have a soup much like this in our family cookbook (no surprise there, right?). it's something that can be put together quickly and easily and always hits the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i leave in Hamburg This is a beutifoul yammyyyy. Have a nice day Cami

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really does sound hearty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda, your grandmother & mother passed on a terrific stew. Filled with things that make a dish like this amazing. It is perfect for rainy days and the crazy holiday madness. Thanks for passing it on to us...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are my savior! I have been in a funk lately and had no idea what to make for dinner, this is just the ticket. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a hearty and tasty soup - perfect for this cold weather in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cold as it has been all year around her right now... I just went to the end of the drive to get the mail, and I need a bowl of this

    great recipe and post

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynda, this looks and sounds wonderful. It really would be perfect for these busy days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks absolutely appetizing, and flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful, colorful, dish, and it looks very satisfying!

    One of my mom's recipes that I make all the time without looking at the recipe anymore is her rice pilaf, I'll have to post that one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my kind of cookin. Yum! I love veggies and this has lots. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm... that's a pure comfort in a bowl, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These kinds of family recipes are so flexible and delicious. I can see my mother making something similar though I'm such a stickler for a hard and fast recipe that I have never attempted it. Little by little I'm "loosening up" LOL because these soups are just too good not to make. Love the idea of using veggies on hand. You have inspired me; thank you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this tonight and it HIT THE SPOT! It made about 8 to 12 servings and was delicious. Instead of using broth I used 3 bullion cubes and added probably 1/2 cup more each of celery, potato, carrott, and onion. Also, be sure to use a large pot :-) Brought some to my grandma and now she is going to make some to keep in the freezer. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joe, so glad that you and your grandma like this soup. Thank you for letting me know! And yes, it does take a large pot;I forgot to mention that fact! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I usually do mine with stew meat but decided to try hamburger since it's cheaper and I had it on hand. I usually add lots of fresh or dried dill to mine and use tomato soup as the base instead of beef broth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My gramma used to make it all the time. One of my favorites! She either called it hamburg stew or hunky soup.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!