Friday, November 20, 2009

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar

Do you like Brussels Sprouts? I love the little cabbages, but my husband doesn't and he has turned the kids against them too! All these years of marriage and I haven't been able to convince him otherwise. So, sometimes when I know I'm going to be alone for a meal, I buy Brussels Sprouts and cook them just for me! That's what I did tonight, roasting them in the oven until tender.
After the ends were cut off, I cut each sprout in half, added a few slices of red onion, some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. These were extra delicious and would make a great addition at any meal. Do you need a vegetable for your holiday meals? These sprouts were sweet and delicious and quick to roast. They are best served immediately after cooking.

ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS with BALSAMIC VINEGAR
1 pound of fresh Brussels sprouts
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon toasted walnuts or pine nuts, optional
Wash Brussels sprouts well; cut stem ends off and remove any dry outer leaves. Cut spouts in half. In a bowl add spouts, onion, oil, and vinegar and toss until oil is distributed. Arrange on a baking sheet and and season with sea salt and pepper. Place in a 4oo degree oven and roast for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Test for doneness by piercing with a fork. If they need to roast longer return to oven, but take a spatula and turn them over to brown evenly. The size of the sprouts will determine the length of roasting time. When done, place Brussels Sprouts in a serving bowl and top with toasted nuts, if desired. You can also add some cooked, crumbled bacon, yum! In case you didn't notice, I was out of walnuts, but I really wanted some crunchy nuts with this dish, so I added pecans. Hehe- I guess this would be a southern touch, but hey, they tasted great! Hope you enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and as sprouts fans we're always looking for new ways to fix them. Will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been seeing brussel sprouts so much recently. My daughter loves them, my husband likes them. I think this just might be the recipe that I could try to see if it can change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda... Love the use of Balsamic vinegar & red onions with the Brussels Sprouts. I am going to give that combination a try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the triple treat of the BS, vinegar and onions. This is a great and interesting side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda... love brussel sprouts and love your recipes. I left you something on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the best looking Brussel sprouts I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love brussels sprouts. What a delicious way to prepare them. I just may have to do this for our thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can say with certainty that roasting is the best way to prepare brussels sprouts. i'd rather not have them any other way.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!