Sunday, December 8, 2013

Garlic Sauteed Spinach

When I was a kid, the cartoon Popeye the Sailor Man was one of my favorite cartoons. I can remember wanting to be strong like him so I begged my mother to buy me the canned spinach that Popeye reportedly ate. When she prepared it for dinner one evening I can remember taking a few bites and then flexing my arm to see if I had muscles as large as Popeye's! Of course I didn't, but as we know spinach is considered a very healthy super-food adding lots of nutrients that our bodies need. Sauteing spinach in olive oil and garlic makes it a most delicious side dish. Really, if you love wilted spinach, I think you will enjoy this version adapted from Ina Garten, very much.

Garlic Sauteed Spinach
approximately 3-4 servings

1 pound of baby spinach, washed
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
fresh lemon for squeezing

In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook only about 1 minute. Don't let it get brown. Add all off the spinach, the salt and pepper to the pot. Give it a stir and cover the pot with a lid to let the spinach steam about 2 minutes. Remove the lid and give it a good stir and cook if needed, until all the spinach is wilted. Using a slotted spoon, remove the spinach to a serving dish. Top with the pat of butter and a good squeeze of lemon. Serve hot. Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. Looks so bright and green. We enjoyed your salisbury steak recipe last night for the third time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larry-Glad you're also enjoying the Salisbury Steak.

      Delete
  2. Hello Lynda,

    Your blog has caught our attention because of the quality of recipes.

    We would be delighted if you would join us at Everyrecipe.com.au so that we could link to it. We send thousands of visitors to our blogs on a weekly basis.

    Everyrecipe.com.au is a search engine that compiles the best Australian cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. It is a part of an international cooking search engine MyTaste.com, which is now operating in 40 countries all over the world.

    Several hundred blogs are already enrolled here and are taking benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.

    To join Everyrecipe, just go to Everyrecipe.com.au

    Kind regards
    Oleg
    Everyrecipe.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank heavens I like spinach and enjoy cooking it just this way. Now that the farmers' market season is over I need to pay more attention to the veggies in our diet. I'm going to have to take a look at your salisbury steak recipe. Haven't made that in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. butter helps spinach OH-so-much. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!