Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Well, it's just a few hours until Thanksgiving officially is here. Are you ready? I thought I'd share a very quick recipe for Homemade Cranberry Sauce that is delicious. I grew up eating the cranberry sauce from the can. That's all my mother ever bought. I didn't have the homemade stuff until I was married and had my first holiday at my mother-in-laws house. I fell in love with the tart, fresh flavor of the cranberries. I've made several different recipes through the years, like Cranberry Apple Relish which I have also posted. This is the quickest recipe and will only take you about 15 minutes! There's definitely time for you to make this before dinner!

Homemade Cranberry Sauce
From Lynda's Recipe Box
I used the juice from an orange plus enough water to make 1 cup of liquid. There is just a hint of orange in the taste. You could use all water, or another juice like apple or pomegranate if desired. You can also stir in chopped nuts after cooking.

Ingredients:
12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries
zest from 1 orange
juice from 1 orange, plus enough added water to make 1 cup of liquid
1 cup of granulated sugar

Directions:
In a 3 quart sauce pan bring the water mixture and the sugar to a simmer; add the cranberries and bring to a rolling boil. Turn heat down to medium low, still boiling, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir frequently. Stir in the orange zest and remove pan from heat. The cranberry sauce will be foaming, but as it begins to cool, it will disappear when you give it a stir. Or you may skim the foam off if preferred. Pour sauce into a serving dish and chill until time to serve. I hope you enjoy your deliciously sweet, but tart Cranberry Sauce
Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. I experiment with new cranberry sauces/relishes each year, but my favorite and always has been is very similar to yours. Instead of water, I use red wine. I love the citrus flavor the orange gives.

    I saw a link to your cranberries on Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings and stopped by. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally have some time to catch up on my reading. That is one fine looking sauce - really like the chunkiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the orange is key--it's so obviously lacking when it's not in there!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!