Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pumpkin Cake Bars

 Technically it is late summer, but fall weather blew in with the storm we had a couple of days ago. I absolutely love fall and fall foods, so I couldn't wait to make something pumpkin. I can't even remember where I got this recipe years ago, but the first time I made it I thought the name was deceiving. It was called Pumpkin Bars, and somehow I assumed that it would turn out somewhat like a brownie. I was wrong. These bars are cake-like and moist, almost as dense as pumpkin bread really, but delicious. This recipe has become a staple at my house because I always have canned pumpkin in my pantry, so I can whip it up at a last minutes notice. I've made these Pumpkin Cake Bars so many times through the years. They are always well received at our church's pot luck dinners, family get togethers and they have been devoured at many funeral dinners that I've helped with. Oh, and my husband loves them too. These Pumpkin Cake Bars are made in a jelly roll pan and topped with Cream Cheese Frosting, which is always a favorite. So if you need an easy, yummy dessert to make, give this a try.
Pumpkin Cake Bars
Origin of recipe forgotten-sorry!
(Update! It was pointed out to me that I had a couple of mistakes in my recipe. So sorry for any problems this may have caused. It has been corrected-thanks! 10-29-14)

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin spice (or use another teas. cinnamon if desired)
1 cup oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 can of pumpkin

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a jelly roll pan. I used a 17 1/2 x 12 1/2 inch jelly roll pan with 1 inch sides, also called a Baker's Half Sheet. (It will also fit in a 10 1/2 x 15 1/2 inch pan with 1 inch sides, but may need to bake a few minutes longer.) In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk. In another bowl, mix the oil, eggs, and pumpkin. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just mixed. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Icing. Enjoy!

Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese together with a mixer. Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread over cake. Enjoy!

NOTE: This makes a fairly thin layer of frosting, You may increase the amount of frosting if desired. I always top the frosting with about 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
If you want a thicker frosting, use 8 ounces  cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

5 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin anything.I need to start stocking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds too good. Here we only get fresh pumpkin and we make savory dishes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that it's September, I'm seeing pumpkin recipes everywhere! What a delicious treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm always excited when i see that the sugar content is more than that of the flour. that's the sign of a good dessert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look decadent! Even though summer went by so quickly, I am ready for fall fare.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!