Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Asian Turkey Meatballs

 I am a meatball fan and though spaghetti and meatballs is one of my favorite foods, I was so anxious to try these Asian Turkey Meatballs when I found the recipe. Meatballs make such yummy appetizers and these did not disappoint me. Even though my supermarket was out of cilantro, I made them anyway and they were still really tasty. The recipe also call for coconut oil in the meat, but It bothers my stomach, so I left it out. I added garlic which was a good call. The dipping sauce adds tons of flavor too and they would be a great addition to your football parties, (or any party for that matter), so hope you'll give these a try.
Asian Turkey Meatballs
Adapted from The Chew

Meatball Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
2 green onions, white and green parts, diced
1 tablespoon Sesame oil
(I left out 1 tablespoon of coconut oil-can't eat it)
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (I did not add this; store was out)
1 large clove garlic, minced- my addition
salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and form into small meatballs. I made about 24. Place on baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes until done.
Make dipping sauce while meatballs bake.

Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
3 slices fresh ginger, smashed
Add all ingredients to a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until brown sugar is dissolved and sauce just begins to thicken. I didn't let the sauce thicken hardly at all, just slightly. Serve with meatballs. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. These look so good. I would have to add the cilantro though....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great appetizer Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love meatballs, too. This would make a great appetizer for football days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to give these a try, Lynda. these are perfect for tailgating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these sound tasty, but i daresay they'd be even more fabulous with that cilantro! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Grace-we have 2 supermarkets in town and both were out of cilantro!

      Delete
  6. I also love meatballs - all types. I play with Asian inspired meatballs a lot as appetizers. Loving the flavors in the dipping sauce. It will come home to me.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!