Thursday, August 9, 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Meat


We've been craving Mexican style food lately, but I wanted to get away from the beef taco meat I use so much and try shredded chicken. Since the weather is still so hot, I decided to cook this Chicken Taco Meat in the slow-cooker, and it turned out really good with just the right amount of spice and heat. This meat can be used in tacos, either soft or hard shell, burritos and was even good in some chicken nachos that I put together quickly.
My crock-pot is large, probably too large for this recipe, but that's what I used. The meat was done in 3 1/2 hours on low, but it will depend on your crock pot as to how quickly the meat cooks. I would definitely try this the first time while you were home for the day, so you'll have an exact idea of how long the chicken needs to cook in your cooker.

I was very happy with the flavor of this meat and will do it the same next time. In fact I thought the meat turned out very well as I don't always like chicken done in a slow cooker. But this was really tasty and easy too. Only thing I didn't have was some avocado as the store was out, except for a couple of very soft ones.
Hope everyone is having a great week. We have finally had some rain and the temps tomorrow may stay around 89 degrees! We are ecstatic to say the least after weeks of drought and triple digit heat. The weeds in our yard are growing again, but I think most of the grass is dead. Sigh........Well, make some tacos, or use this meat in other favorite Mexican style dishes. Here's my recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Meat
From Lynda's Recipe Box
Rotel Tomatoes are 10 ounce cans of diced tomatoes and chili peppers that come in several levels of heat. I use Rotel Original, which is spicy but not super hot.

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs (I used breasts this time)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 large cloves garlic, sliced or minced
juice of 1 lime, optional

Lay thawed chicken in the slow cooker. Mix together the Rotel tomatoes with all the spices and the garlic. Pour over the chicken. Cover crock pot and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours, or more until the chicken can easily be shredded. Chicken thighs may take a bit longer to cook. When done, remove chicken to a platter and shred the meat using 2 forks. Squeeze the lime juice over the meat if desired, or just pass lime wedges along with the other garnishes. You may want to use some of the juices in the pot with the chicken to keep it moist. I always strain the juice and add the remaining tomato mixture back in with the chicken. Enjoy!  If making tacos, garnish with your favorite toppings. I love to use Cilantro, shredded cheese, lettuce, green onions, sour cream and avocado. What is your favorite way to garnish a taco?

7 comments:

  1. We're finally getting a ton of rain too.
    Your tacos looks great. I hardly ever use my slow cooker (it reminds me too much of when we had our kitchen reno!), but this recipe would be worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get myself a slow cooker. Your taco looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using my slow cooker. This is a great idea....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hard to beat simple and delicious and I think Rotel makes about everything better

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! We are having the same thing for lunch today, grilled chicken tacos and I do have avocado :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. when i was growing up, my mom would prepare chicken this way and we'd have it in every form imaginable--things like chicken pot pie, barbecue chicken, and yes, chicken tacos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love slow cooker meals! Makes it soooo easy on a busy night!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!