Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Home-style Egg, Canadian Bacon and English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich

I know, this is hardly an original breakfast posting since the Golden Arches has been making similar breakfast sandwiches for years. But I love making them at home and making sure they are a bit healthier too. In my 20's I loved stopping at McDonald's on my way to work in the mornings and ordering this sandwich to start my day. I took my grandson out to breakfast last week, the day before school started, and he wanted to go to McDonald's, so I ordered my old favorite. While it was good, I prefer making them at home now.
Since I am in the process of trying to lose some weight, here's my healthier version if you'd like to try. You probably don't need directions for this, but just in case there is a new cook reading this, here's the method.

 Egg, Canadian Bacon and English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich
Inspired by the Egg McMuffin

I use the low calorie, whole wheat English Muffins. Toast the muffins. Butter lightly with a low-fat butter spread.
In a non stick skillet over medium low heat, add 1 scrambled egg. I push it around into somewhat of a circle as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper. Flip over to finish cooking. Place egg on the large half of the muffin. Warm thinly sliced Canadian bacon in the skillet and place on top the egg. I don't usually use cheese with these anymore, but this time I added about 1/2 ounce of shredded cheddar cheese on top and broiled it just until the cheese melted. Top with other half of muffin. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but click over after I saw your sandwich on Big Dude's sidebar. This is one of our favorite breakfasts at home and usually we eat it open-faced. We've stopped using the cheese (calories) and save it for a special treat. I was surprised to read how few calories it has at Mickey D's compared to their other breakfast offerings. A semi-healthy breakfast on the road at around 300 calories. Who knew.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, thanks for stopping by! I don't usually use cheese on this sandwich anymore either, but had a small piece to use up, so I did.
      I guess they can be healthy; this is a version of a Weight Watcher's breakfast idea. Without the cheese.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a mighty fine start to the day

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like a lot of things about canada, including their bacon. this is a nice breakfast sammie, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful breakfast,Lynda!Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man it looks amazing! I so miss carbs :), but On the list to do when back on!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!