Friday, August 17, 2012

My Favorite Zucchini Bread

 It's that time of year when an over-abundance of some garden vegetables will start showing up on doorsteps, or maybe your desk at work. It even shows up at our church once in awhile. I had zucchini given to me by my daughter-in-law K, and it was given to her at her workplace. So I turned it into my favorite Zucchini Bread.
 This recipe comes from an old church cookbook that I've had since before I was married (34 years ago). Some of our favorite dishes came from that book, and this Zucchini Bread recipe is one of them. It is moist and delicious, full of cinnamon and the pecans I add. My house smells like cinnamon roasted pecans while it bakes. Yum! If you've been given an abundance of zucchini, give this bread a try. I don't think you'll be sorry.
My Favorite Zucchini Bread
Adapted from an old church cookbook

Ingredients:
2 cups grated, raw zucchini- do not drain
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar. Mix well and add the grated zucchini.
In another bowl add the flour, cinnamon,baking powder, soda, and salt and mix well.
Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Stir in the nuts just until blended. Divide batter evenly between the 2 prepared loaf pans. Bake for 50-60 minutes until done. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the bread to loosen it from pan. Turn bread loaves out of pans and cool on racks. Wrap tightly in foil or plastic wrap. Enjoy!
Click here for more quick bread recipes.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't baked a zucchini bread in a really long while. These look perfect with pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great recipe for zucchini bread Lynda. I think I will make it this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looks and sounds delicious Lynda! A lot of folks don't have the appreciation for the community and church cookbooks because they aren't filled with pretty pictures like all the newer modern ones, but you know that I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on 34 years of marriage!!!!!!! Delicious looking bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the epitome of tried and true! i do love the moistness zucchini lends to a loaf of quick bread. nice post!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!