Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sliced Cucumbers and Onions in Vinegar

 I'm sure many of you have made this simple dish. My mother and grandmother always had Sliced Cucumbers and Onions in Vinegar in the refrigerator in the summer. This was a very tasty way to use the extra produce from their garden. My husband and I still love the tangy bite of vinegar in these cukes. This simple salad has to be made to individual preferences. We like a strong vinegar and water solution, but others may like less bite. Some people add sugar to the solution. My mother-in-law may have added a teaspoon of sugar, but I don't remember. So taste as you go. Be sure to add salt and pepper though. Here's the method.
Sliced Cucumbers and Onions in Vinegar
From Lynda's Recipe Box

Method: Use as many cucumbers as you want. I used 2 smaller, about 8inch cucumbers and 1 medium sweet yellow onion. This was enough to fill a 1 quart dish about 1/2 full. However, this dish will keep very well in the refrigerator, so don't be afraid to slice up more.
Peel, (if desired), and slice the cucumbers thinly. Cut the onion into thin slices also, and place cukes and onions into the dish in alternate layers.
Mix 1 part cider vinegar with 2 parts water. I used 1/2 cup cider vinegar and 1 cup cold water this time. Taste! If the vinegar is too strong for you then add some more water. Likewise if you want a stronger vinegar bite. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the cukes and onions. Chill for several hours before serving. They get better every day so enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. These were always a part of a summer dinner. A summer dinner that consisted of green beans (with potatoes), corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, and cucumbers and onions. Sometimes we had cornbread and sometimes we had some kind of meat, but when it was really hot - nobody wanted the house heated up and really had no stomach for meat. Cold watermelon for dessert, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, and you've made me so hungry. That's the kind of dinners I'm used to in the summer. And this summer is no different, with temps so high, who wants to have a hot meal? Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. This is eaten as a relish with rice and lentils in India too. It cools you off in the heat. Very good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Amrita! Cucumbers do cool you off, and we are having very hot weather now, so I'll be keeping this dish full.

      Delete
  3. Now this is something I think my youngest son would love. He loves cucumber salads and could eat them every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mom loves this simple side, but the raw onions ruin it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cukes are in and I do adore this dish. Will be slicing the cucumbers right away. This is the perfect taste of summer.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!